5 strange cultures in Africa you won’t believe
Africa is the second-largest continent after Asia. The continent is home to over 3000 ethnic groups. These ethnic groups have some fascinating and bizarre cultures that will give you the shock of your life. Most of these bizarre customs are what make the African continent one of a kind.
However, some of these traditions have been said to be inhuman and have had some psychological effects on the people.
Most of Africa’s traditions or cultures are expressed in various art forms such as dance, music, sculptures, art, and bead-work.
Some of the strange cultures of Africa have been listed below.
1. Firstly, The spitting of the Maasai
The Maasia is an ethnic group that can be found in Kenya and the Northern part of Tanzania. They are a tribe that has stayed true to themselves. Their culture has never had any infiltration by a foreign culture. The tradition has been there since time immemorial.
The Maasai’s form of greeting is to spit on the hands and extend them to the other for a handshake. Hence, this is expressed as a form of respect and blessings.
Also, when a baby is born, the elders of the tribe spit in the palm of the baby to wish him or her good luck and long life.
Again, when a lady gets married, the bride’s father spits on her forehead after the wedding ceremony as a way of blessing her union. The Maasai are also known to eat raw meat and drink fresh milk or blood from cows.
2. Secondly, Chewa’s festival of the dead
The Chewa’s is a tribe of the Bantus and are found in Malawi. With this custom, when a member of the tribe dies, the corpse is taken to a special place for it to be cleansed. The cleansing is done by slitting the throat of the deceased and pouring water through the corpse. The water is then gushed out of the body till it is clean and then the water is collected and used to prepare a meal for the entire community.
3. Thirdly, Beating to earn a wife – Fulani
This custom is practiced among the Fulani tribe in Nigeria. The Fulanis are a semi-nomadic ethnic group. The practice of a groom being beaten by the elders of the community is called Sharo. This beating earns the man some respect and gives him permission to get a wife. If the groom is unable to bear the pain he is not allowed to marry and the wedding will be canceled. The bride’s family can also reimburse the dowry.
4. Also, Potency test among the Banyankole tribe in Uganda
The Banyankole tribe is a minority tribe in Uganda. To them, they view marriage as a burden to the bride’s aunt. Thus the groom is expected to have sex with the bride’s aunt after which the aunt will test the virginity of the bride.
5. Lastly, Bull-jumping in Ethiopia
This is practiced by the Ethiopians. It involves the young boys stripping naked and having to run and jump over several bulls. This is done to prove their manhood and preserve their own dignity and that of their families. This is also done before a man is allowed to get married.
- Top 5 African Countries with the Best Education Systems
- HOW TO GET A UK VISA IN GHANA
- What You Need To Know When Starting A Business
- What You Need To Know When Buying A Car
- How Do I Get Rid Of The White Stuff On My Tongue
- Get Rid Of Vagina Odour Immediately
- HOW TO PREPARE PIZZA FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR HOME
- HOW DO I KNOW MY BLOOD GROUP
- KNOW WHY YOU SHOULD NOT MARRY PEOPLE WITH CERTAIN BLOOD GROUPS
- How Can I Stop White Discharge and Itching Naturally
- How to stop menstrual pains fast at home
- What Are the Symptoms & Signs of Gonorrhea and Syphilis?
- How can I stop the pain when I urinate?
- How can I stop sperm from coming early?
- Apply for Police Clearance Certificate in Ghana
For daily job alerts and guide to worldwide visas, join our WhatsApp and Telegram group
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE WHATSAPP GROUP
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE TELEGRAM GROUP
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED