October 22nd, 2023 at 05:31 am
Public Safety Supervisor Jobs in California ($73,000 – $93,000 annually)
The Public Safety Supervisor is in charge of making sure that all visitors, employees, and faculty members are safe and secure on campus. They work under the direction of the Director of Public Safety and Emergency Management or their designee. applies strategies, tactics, and processes for preventing safety hazards and criminal risks while upholding university rules and regulations.
The buildings and surrounding areas of the campus are under the supervision of Public Safety Supervisors. They might also serve as a point of contact between the college community and outside law enforcement.
The goal of the Department of Public Safety is to serve staff, professors, and students with exceptional support and services, and this role helps to achieve that goal. It does this by making sure that goals are set, tracked, and evaluated in keeping with the timelines and objectives of the strategic plan. This job contributes significantly to the vibrant and welcoming campus community.
Regarding the opportunity
To support the circumstances under which Northeastern University operates internationally as intended, the Mills College at Northeastern University Public Safety Department interacts with the community through an extensive array of police, emergency management, international security, prevention of crime, emergency medical services, and related public safety services.
To reduce crime and enhance the quality of life for the people it serves, the Department functions in compliance with the principles of procedural justice and maintains an ongoing, proactive relationship with the community.
Supervisors of public safety have a critical role in maintaining community safety and legal compliance. California is home to people from all over the world, and with its own set of issues, it requires competent Public Safety Supervisors.
A Public Safety Supervisor’s Role
To ensure that public safety officers are doing their duties effectively, a public safety supervisor is in charge of monitoring and planning their work. They are critical to decision-making and resource allocation because they serve as a conduit between local law enforcement and higher-ups.
Essential Job Functions (General)
- Patrols and guards the campus’s grounds and amenities using a car, bicycle, and foot. helps keep the campus’s property and people safe.
- Second, investigates crimes on campus, makes reports, and conducts investigations. prepares the written reports that are needed.
- Third, keep track of all daily activity, including service calls and building inspections on a communication log page.
- Fourth, keep an eye out for any circumstances that could endanger public safety or security on college grounds and report them.
- Also, keep an eye on the school video system to make sure there isn’t any criminal behavior going on in other locations.
- Moreover, make contact with fire, police, and other government agencies as needed.
- Besides that, helps public service officials, including police, fire, and medical, with emergency investigations
- Similarly, follows established protocols to enforce college and municipal laws, rules, ordinances, and regulations.
- Besides that, reacts to incoming calls to campus security, keeps an eye on inbound and outgoing traffic at the front gate, and transmits information to field patrol units. provides directions and details about the events, facilities, and other areas on campus.
- Likewise, keeps an eye on traffic and parking on campus, issuing tickets for offenses.
- Aside from that, provides traffic and crowd control for big events held on and off campus.
- Responds to grievances from the campus community and, if required, help parties find solutions.
- Above all, respond to requests for access control and carry out tasks like locking and/or opening academic structures for staff, professors, and students.
- Last but not least, attend to security, smoke detectors, and fire alarms.
Essential Job Responsibilities (Supervision)
- Foremost, oversees all aspects of the College’s daily security operations, including escort services, parking enforcement, and community safety.
- Also, help with officer scheduling to guarantee sufficient vacation relief, call-off replacement, and shift coverage. Plans and organizes extra campus security for a range of important occasions and events.
- Next, keep up with shift meetings
- Additionally, participates in the evaluation and modification of the College’s policies and protocols. offers subject-matter knowledge to guarantee enforceability and correctness.
- Moreover, helps create the department budget and assesses and suggests new supplies, equipment, or unique materials to improve security enforcement.
- In addition, oversees and assesses the work of designated staff, plans and/or executes employee training, conducts research, and develops training materials.
- Furthermore, keeps an eye on employees’ compliance with departmental guidelines, protocols, and legal obligations.
- Besides that, cultivates and preserves connections with campus stakeholders, such as departments, student organizations, and neighborhood and local businesses, both internally and externally.
- Aside from that, makes certain that all actions related to public safety are suitably and promptly recorded for later analysis and monitoring.
- Similarly, coordinates planned research with other departments; and informs departments and campus users about the implications of new policies, procedures, and/or programs.
- Likewise, meets or speaks with the public to handle complaints and safety issues; keeps track of and makes sure that public concerns are appropriately followed up on.
- Most importantly, essential security guidelines and practices.
- Also, public safety guidelines, directives, and standards
- Additionally, strategies for meeting record-keeping and report-writing obligations
- Moreover, standard computer programs, such as Microsoft Office and email.
- Besides that, being familiar with the regulating policies and processes (supervisory)
- The Celery Act, Title IX, and the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- In addition, current protocols and practices in public safety
- Likewise, the most recent criminal codes and legislation, together with effective methods and procedures for conducting investigations.
- Above all, the policies, methods, processes, and standards of the department concerning safety, encompass the Illness and Injury Prevention Plan.
- Make wise decisions in an emergency to show that you have good judgment.
- Next, describe, implement, and interpret laws, rules, and policies.
- Also, competently organize, manage, and oversee the work of others
- In addition, respect deadlines and schedules.
- Resolve disputes through mediation
- Work alone and with little guidance.
- Additionally, effectively communicate both in writing and verbally.
- Moreover, examine procedures and offer suggestions for enhancements;
- Utilize information technology for reporting, data gathering, and communication;
- Furthermore, collaborate with intellectual, cultural, and ethnically diverse students, instructors, and staff;
- Read, write, and speak English with ease.
- Similarly, flexibility in scheduling and willingness to work different shifts, including weekends and holidays
- Strong interpersonal and communication abilities are necessary, as well as a focus on customer service.
- Likewise, work in intense, aggressive, or confrontational situations
- Aside from that, excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Take the required steps to create and preserve productive working relationships in a multicultural environment that is diverse.
- Above all, follow the College Injury and Illness Prevention Plan when it comes to safety.
Education and Training
- GED or required high school diploma
- Also, have previous experience as a security or law enforcement supervisor.
- Additionally, ideally holding a bachelor’s degree
- Moreover, must have a track record of safe driving and a valid driver’s license issued in California. has to have a BSIS Guard Card. within six months of employment, complete P.O.S.T. PC 832 training or a certified equivalent.
- Within six months of hiring, certification in CPR and First Aid is required.
- Above all, complete a drug test, psychological assessment, and extensive background investigation.
Environment and Physical Demands at Work
- Working in a range of conditions, such as vacations, weekends, day/evening/night shifts, required overtime, and emergencies is a crucial aspect of this role.
- Wear a uniform and equipment; drive a car; walk, run, climb, bend, crouch, and lift weights proportionate to the necessity to offer medical help. Sit or stand for prolonged periods.
- You can push, pull, or raise up to 30 pounds of large things.
extended standing, walking, and sitting
- It must be possible to move through many kinds of terrain, including uneven off-road areas and slopes, by bending at the waist, kneeling, and crouching.
About Northeastern University
As an equal-opportunity employer, Northeastern University works to attract and retain a diverse group of instructors and staff members. Northeastern places a high importance on diversity in all of its forms and works to create an accepting, mutually respectful culture that strengthens ties between groups and encourages cohesiveness.
All eligible candidates are welcome to apply; they will all have their qualifications taken into account for jobs, regardless of their age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, race, religion, or level of impairment. For additional information about Northeastern University’s dedication to and support of diversity and inclusion, go to www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
Given the duties and scope of the role, the expected salary range for this position is $73,535 to $93,755.
In California, becoming a Public Safety Supervisor is a highly significant and enjoyable career. The number of diverse groups relocating to the state is growing. It follows that there will be an even greater demand for those who can guide and ensure everyone’s safety. If you have the necessary abilities and commitment to become a police officer, this may be the best course of action for you.
Visit Newsnowgh.com for the most up-to-date information on visa-sponsored jobs, prospective paths benefits, application processes, and others.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED