The Radio Operator position is fully funded by UN agencies in Ghana through the Local Cost Shared Security Budget.
The Radio Operator at UNDP will provide radio communication/security support to staff and dependents in all UN Agencies
In line with the country Security Risk Management (SRM); the United Nations system in Ghana created Radio Rooms in Accra and Tamale with the primary responsibility of ensuring the safety and security of all UN staff, dependents and property.
The Radio Rooms are designed to operate on a 24×7 basis.
Radio Operator Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the immediate supervision of the Security Advisor (SA), the Radio Operator/Security shall be responsible for the following duties:
- Serving in shift-system at a 24/7 radio room which maintains a radio and telephone communication regime with all UN staff in the Area of Operation;
- When required, he/she will assist police during investigations in all security-related incidents involving UN staff.
- Ensure that all communication equipment (i.e. VHF and HF radios, fax mobile and land-line phones) are in perfect working conditions before the start of duty;
- Receive, process, record and pass all security-related information to the appropriate quarters through the normal communication channels;
- Inform the Supervisors immediately of any incident/accident;
- Maintain communication link with the security agencies (police and military) with a view to providing the necessary assistance to UN staff members and receiving updated information on security matters;
- Register and forward all e-mail messages and messages deposited during working and offduty hours; Assist with preparation of UN IDS and Access badges when on day shift.
- Accurately identify exact location/grid references of all incident/accidents and pass information to the Supervisors and the police;
- Maintain both electronic and manual register;
- Provide relevant assistance to visiting staff members requiring assistance through radio or telephone channels;
- Brief the incoming duty radio operator on all events, especially pending cases for which action is to be taken;
- Perform radio checks, as directed by the SA / ASC / Local Security Assistant (LSA) and Radio Room Supervisor;
- Keep the SA /ASC / LSA and Radio Room Supervisor informed of any information or incident that could have a bearing on the security of staff and property;
- Maintain up-to-date records of all security section supplies; Prepare and conduct security briefings;
- Conduct residence security surveys;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the SA / ASC / LSA and Radio Room Supervisor
Competencies of the Ideal UNDP Radio Operator
- Very good skills in the use of telecommunication equipment;
- Very good oral and written skills in the English language; ability to provide briefings, forecasts and advice clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
- A high sense of discretion and integrity.
- Professional attitude and ability to work efficiently under stressful conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- High school diploma or equivalent. 2 years of experience in telecommunication
- Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable but not a requirement.
- Fluency in English, Fluency in the Ghanaian language is required.
Other Skills Required
- Knowledge of telecommunication
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Method of application
Application Deadline: 10th August 2021
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job descriptions, experiences and educational requirements.
WhatsApp & Telegram Job Alert
To get daily Job Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
Is Daddy Lumba truly Ev!l & Dαngɛrous? According To Roro producer this is what happened
Subscribe to Blog via Email
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED