Sightsavers Ghana Country Office to excited to be offer the opportunity for the right individual to join their team as a Research Coordinator to provide technical, administrative and logistical support to the DISSECT project in Ghana.
As the Research Coordinator you will work collaboratively with the Sightsavers country office, Principal Investigators in the Ministries of Health, the Sightsavers Research team, Sightsavers NTD team and other external academic institutions such as Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine to ensure DISSECT is implemented smoothly and to international research quality standards.
This is an ideal post for a junior researcher in the NTD or Entomology field looking to gain experience contributing to large piece of multi-country research which will impact NTD control and elimination strategies globally
The Research Coordinator will contribute to field guides, data collection and supervision tools based on existing drafts and protocols.
They will have the responsibility for the day to day management of data collectors and co-researchers including the associated logistics and manage and co-lead on training events.
This role will involve in country travel to the project location, and limited international travel for meetings, conferences and workshops, subject to visa requirements and national travel restrictions.
Further duties include;
- Contributing to field guides, data collection and supervision tools based on existing drafts and protocols
- Developing and/or maintaining working relationships with in country and cross-country project implementation partners including laboratories
- Recruitment of study participants or location of study sites
- Contribute to supervision, data collection, data analysis, and reporting.
- Participate in community-based engagement activities
- Participate in dissemination of research findings through reports, peer-reviewed publications, targeted blogs and presentations.
- Support qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- Liaise with PIs, Sightsavers in-country staff, other country research co-ordinators and project implementation partners and contribute to different aspects of collaborative research project management.
- Support procurement and supply management for data collection periods
- Be Responsible for updating the myClaims system and support management and reporting of country budgets
As the successful candidate you will hold a master’s degree (or equivalent practical training) in epidemiology, public health, entomology, or related field, have knowledge of the transmission, biology and control of onchocerciasis and other neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), and posses experience of conducting and managing research in Onchocerciasis endemic countries particularly qualitative research and/ or Neglected Tropical Disease research.
Other requirements for the role include;
- Experience of working in partnership with academic institutions and laboratories
- Understanding of research governance and ethical principles particularly in relation to research with vulnerable people
- Knowledge of research methods for entomology, including fly catching and trapping, fly dissection, speciation using morphological keys, cytotaxonomy and DNA analysis of adult and larval insect lifecycle stages
- Knowledge and experience conducting ELISA and PCR, DNA extraction, and adhering to and ensuring laboratory quality assurance protocols are followed is desirable, but not essential
- Knowledge of NTDs and health system
It is essential that the post holder is fluent in spoken and written English, with the ability to speak and write Bono-Twi/Bono an added advantage.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills, please read the complete Job Description for further details.
Interview dates: Week commencing 8th January 2022
As an equal opportunities employer we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community.
Qualified persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. Sightsavers is not willing to accept unsolicited agency resumes, we are therefore unable to adhere to any terms of business related to unsolicited resumes.
Method Of Application
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED