POSITION: Investment Advisor – Agriculture
The focus of the Role
Strategically located with access to West Africa’s 350 million population, Ghana is a peaceful country evident by democratic political stability over the last 20 years. Investor confidence has grown in recent years following an upgrade in Standard & Poor’s rating to B with a stable outlook for the first time in over a decade.
Agriculture provides the lifeline for millions of livelihoods in Ghana by offering jobs, food nutrition, and a firm foothold for Ghana’s economy. The Government of Ghana (GoG) is committed to increasing productivity and thereby catalyzing a structural transformation in the economy through increased rural incomes and job creation. To contribute to this goal, the GoG has initiated two flagship projects: Planting for Food and Jobs (PFJ), focused on access to inputs, and Planting for Export & Rural Development (PERD), focused on the development of selected export tree crops to enhance the foreign exchange earning capacity of the Ghanaian economy.
In support of these initiatives, and to complement TBI’s embedded technical and analytical support to the Ministry of Food & Agriculture, the Ministry of Trade and Industry and our ongoing partnership with the Alliance for Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), we are now seeking an Investment Advisor, focused on the agriculture sector, and in particular agro-processing. The Advisor will support the government of Ghana with:
- attracting greenfield investment into agro-processing for export and rural development,
- supporting established investors in the sector, and
- securing private funding for strategic flagship projects.
The Advisor will be a member of an evolving TBI team in Ghana. The team consists of experienced advisors providing embedded support at the center of government and to key economic institutions of the government to attract and scale up private investment in priority sectors positioned to generate exports, jobs, and backward linkages. The Advisor will benefit from network effects as part of the Tony Blair Institute’s global presence. He/she will also be a member of TBI’s Inclusive Growth and Private Sector Development practice, through which they will gain from and contribute to the expertise of TBI’s teams across Africa and beyond.
- Undertake socio-economic analysis of Ghana’s comparative advantage and investment opportunities in the agro-processing sectors, with a view to provide strategic advice and help identify and promote bankable projects.
- Work alongside government counterparts to conduct improved investment promotion and outreach to the agro-processing investment community.
- Support the improved packaging of greenfield and brownfield investment projects
- Identify institutional gaps that need to be addressed to attract investment into the agriculture sector and for improving access to markets for Ghanaian agro-processing products.
- Assist government counterparts in their interactions with international agribusiness investors, with support from the TBI team across the government of Ghana.
- Support government institutions, alongside the wider TBI team in Ghana, to coordinate around attracting and retaining investments in agro-processing. Facilitate problem-solving of investment facilitation issues.
- Where and when requested, work alongside TBI colleagues, government counterparts, and partners to undertake key value chain analysis and implementation support and provide linkages to value chain actors including value-adding local and international Agro-processors.
- Manage relationships with and provide project update reporting to relevant donors and partners.
- Support the Country Head and other team members with quarterly and annual reporting; strategic and management programmes.
We are looking for outstanding individuals with a proven track record of leadership and delivery in the public or private sectors. We seek to create international and multi-disciplinary teams and are looking for individuals with a background in investment banking, investment promotion, agro-processing, public/civil services worldwide; strategy consulting; relevant industry experience; private equity finance; and international development.
EXPERIENCES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 5-10 years of experience working on private sector development and/ or agriculture transformation programmes in emerging markets especially in Sub Saharan Africa and or similar contexts to Ghana, including but not limited to issues related to international trade, investment promotion, commercial agriculture, market linkages, and value chain development.
- Experience facilitating and attracting companies to invest in agro-processing in emerging markets for export.
- Experiential knowledge of institutional development and organizational management, including process and system engineering and capacity development. Experience working with senior executives is an asset.
- An MA in International Economics, Public Administration, Business, Finance, Urban Planning, or related fields.
- Ability to work independently, think strategically and translate strategies into concrete and implementable plans
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with government and investors
- Excellent writing, presentation skills, and verbal communication skills in English
- Understanding of organizational design and accountability mechanisms to reform Government processes
- Proven ability to mentor, coach, and build the capacity of national counterparts
- Strong analytical and management skills, including sound knowledge of data analysis, strategic planning, and project management tools
- Ability to deliver results in complex and challenging environments
- Willingness and ability to mentor, coach and build the capacity of counterparts
- A creative and entrepreneurial approach to overcoming barriers and making change happen
- Experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable
Above all, we are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, drive, resilience, a can-do attitude, and ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute for Global Change (TBI) aims to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive, and prosperous societies in an interconnected world. We do this through our Policy Futures ideas and our Government Advisory Practice. What we believe in as an organization:
- Open and Progressive – you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic – you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers – you’ll be focused on results
HOW TO APPLY
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion makes us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate differences be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability.
We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during the recruitment and, if you’re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.
WhatsApp & Telegram Job Alert
To get daily Job Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUP, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
DOWNLOAD NEWSNOWGH MOBILE APP BELOW FOR MORE JOBS
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED