Proforest is a non-profit organization with a global presence. Our head office is in the UK with regional offices in Malaysia, Ghana, and Brazil.
Proforest has established itself as a leader in the development and implementation of sustainable production and sourcing of natural resources, including timber and a range of agricultural commodities (eg. palm oil, soy, sugar, etc), helping companies, governments, non-governmental and civil society organizations to achieve sustainable use of the world’s natural resources.
Proforest provides practical support to producers, processors, purchasers, and investors to help them meet their sustainability commitments. We work at every stage of the supply chain, from production and processing to purchasing and investment.
Our experience covers the management of forests, oil palm, soy, sugarcane, rubber, beef, and cotton at a range of scales that includes smallholders, communities, and forest-dependent people through to multinational businesses.
Proforest is made up of a non-profit (charitable) arm that focuses on long-term support for small producers and wider capacity building, particularly in developing countries, and a consultancy arm that provides direct support and services to the private sector companies.
Proforest Programmes and Consultancy Services
Proforest’s programs create the enabling environment and build the capacity required for the private sector, working with governments and civil society, to deliver agriculture and forest commodities sustainably at scale.
Proforest has provided consultancy services to help companies meet their environmental and social commitments – from zero deforestation to protecting workers’ rights – for over 18 years. But the large-scale impact can only be achieved if localized efforts to improve agricultural and forestry practices are supported by wider changes needed to make sustainable practices the norm.
Our programs support this broader transformational change. We build the enabling environment and address key barriers to better practices among the private sector, governments, and civil society. We foster awareness of the issues, build capacity and promote local leadership of sustainability initiatives.
Our consultancy services provide practical support to producers, processors, purchasers, and investors to help them work in environmentally and socially responsible ways.
As demand for sustainably sourced commodities increases, producers, processors, purchasers, and investors in natural resources all need to demonstrate that they are meeting commitments to environmental and social responsibility.
This is a complex task in a challenging commercial environment. We work at every stage of the supply chain, from production and processing to purchasing and investment.
POSITION: Finance Assistant
Role Purpose: Proforest Limited is seeking an enthusiastic team member to support its programs and project implementation, ensuring that policies, procedures, and minimum standards of accounting and administration are complied with.
Reporting lines: This role reports to the Deputy Director of Finance and Operations
- Ensure that all financial transactions are accurately, properly, and timely recorded in accordance with Proforest policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Process payments in line with approved budgets, ensuring compliance with Proforest procedures and using correct account codes and authorizations
- Maintain the office petty cash fund and related cashbook
- Maintain the bankbooks for all bank accounts
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations to reconcile bankbooks and bank balances
- Maintain and regularly update the travel advance register and ensure all advances given are accounted for in accordance with Proforest policy.
- Ensure that all accounting documents are regularly and properly filed
- Ensure consistent application of financial procedures and standards
- Be responsible for the generation of key management reports and the completion of the initial review to identify discrepancies for escalation
- Perform any other duties that may be deemed appropriate for this role as assigned by the Deputy Director of Finance and Operations
Salary: Up to 72,000 per annum, depending on qualification and experience
Required Skills or Experience
- Part Qualified ICA (GH), ACCA or CIMA
- At least 2 years practical experience in finance and accounting
- Demonstrable Intermediate Excel skills
- Numerate and good attention to detail
- Able to demonstrate initiative and flexibility
- Motivated team player with good interpersonal skills and a strong desire to support the team in meeting organizational objectives
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Good time-management skills
- Ability to resolve problems and queries quickly and efficiently
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to manage competing tasks; ability to prioritize and produce high-level output consistently.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Strong sense of honesty and integrity and personal commitment to the goals of Proforest
- Familiarity with Sage 50 C Professional or similar accountancy system
HOW TO APPLY
Send your cover letter and CV, no longer than two pages to Africa@proforest.net
Application Deadline: Friday 14th January 2022
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED