The HSE Officer reports to the HSE Manager of the company.
The HSE Officer is responsible for all health, safety and environment processes and procedures on site. Reporting to the HSE Manager, the safety officer enforces company safety policies and work procedures. This position works with the HSE Manager, site managers including site superintendents to enhance site safety including ensuring a safe working environment for all personnel and third parties. The HSE Officer ensures timely completion of statutory audits by providing all supporting documentation in support of internal and external audits.
He or she advices site management on HSE risks and opportunities.
Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
- Management and maintenance of site HSE management system (ISO 14001 and ISO 45001)
- Timely data compilations and reporting of monthly HSE KPIs.
- Ensure continuous reduction in Company Incidents and Incident rates.
- Promote near miss reporting across site.
- Timely monitoring and completion of site statutory inspections of critical equipment listing.
- Timely completion of trainings as per training plan.
- Corrective and Preventive Actions closure.
- Maintains the site’s critical equipment listing and ensures it is up to date.
- Conducts daily/weekly and monthly walkabouts with site leadership team.
- Conducts hygiene audits
- Implements innovative ideas to continually improve health and safety on site.
- Conducts risk assessments with support of other team members.
- Manages site regulatory requirements.
- Reporting and coordinating accidents/incidents and near miss investigations, etc.
Working Environment/Exposure to Risk
- 60% field work and 40% Administrative work in an air-conditioned office
- Regular phone conversation and follow-ups with functional units.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures
- Lead on all HSE related issues and act as a centre of excellence for site HSE.
- Assist and advise Site Manager and the HSE Manager to discharge their HSE duties imposed upon them by law.
- Initiate and organise HSE trainings for employees at the site.
- Ensuring that the company HSE management system is implemented and maintained at site.
- Undertake periodic workplace inspections.
- Ensures that a register of Hazardous substances is always maintained.
- Ensures that a register of lifting equipments and its certifications is always maintained.
- Ensures that a colour code system is in place and up to date for all lifting and portable equipments.
- Report and Investigate accidents, incidents and near misses and record the data accordingly.
- Auditing policies, procedures and company safety standards.
- Submit monthly HSE performance records to the HSE Manager.
- Organise, scribe and document HSE meetings at the site.
- Conduct site inductions and monitor PPE compliance.
- Ensure that contractors working on company premises or on behalf of the company are competent and controlled whilst they are working on site.
- Ensures that new employees, temporary workers and contractors are adequately inducted, i.e. given enough HSE information before they begin work.
- Conduct risk assessment for various tasks and at various departments within the branch.
- Promote a safety culture within the organization and set a personal example.
- Initiate and organise HSE monthly meetings, daily TBT/DSTIs.
- Roll out vehicular safety and inspections on site.
- Ensure environmental compliance to applicable laws.
- Ensure a clean environment within the yard and its perimeter by conducting housekeeping audits.
- Internal: Project and Construction Managers.
- External: Clients Representative from Newmont Ghana and DRA.
Judgement and Complexity
Excellent Judgement of the jobholder is highly required in the following:
- Leading company on with world class safety activities.
- Supervision and coordination of all HSE activities.
- Resolving problems with functional departments.
Responsibility for Assets
- Computer and IT equipment under his/her care
- Safety Equipments and processes including procedures.
Level of Authority
- The jobholder’s authority is limited to making recommendations and seeking approval.
- The jobholder has the authority to STOP any unsafe work.
- Educational & Professional Qualification:
- 5 years’ experience in Mining, Construction and Engineering
- Professional qualification (NEBOSH IGC, IOSH, OSHA or better) in Health and Safety is desirable.
- Degree in Human Sciences, Engineering, Physical Sciences, OHS etc.
- Skills Required:
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to work with people at various levels.
- People management skills
- Computer literacy with advance Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Must be a team player
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may apply for this job by submitting their application and CV with three references to the address below not later than 15th July, 2020, indicating “Driver” in the subject line. WEC would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only shortlisted candidates who meet our requisite criteria and are shortlisted will be contacted. EOE/AA.
NOTE: To ensure that an applicant is a native of the local community, all local applications must be supported by the initial confirmation of citizenship, ENDORSED by the Chief, a nominated Assembly Person and the Youth Leader of the applicant’s community, and must be delivered to the Newmont Community Information Office or Newmont Security gate at Plant Site not later than the stated date
The Human Resources Representative
Wayoe Engineering and Construction Limited
C/O HR Department
WhatsApp & Telegram Job Alert
To get daily Job Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUP, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
DOWNLOAD NEWSNOWGH MOBILE APP BELOW FOR MORE JOBS
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED