Canada’s Scholarship Opportunities For International Students
It’s important to remember that each scholarship has a different way to apply and a different deadline. Most of the time, you won’t be able to apply for university or college scholarships until you’ve been accepted into a program. If you do well in school or other activities, you may be automatically considered for scholarships without having to fill out a separate application. When schools give out graduate-level scholarships, you may also need to be chosen or recommended by your department. Be sure to keep track of the deadlines for the scholarships you want to apply for so you don’t miss them.
Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students
1. Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
This scholarship program at the University of Toronto helps international students who have shown they are smart, creative, and good at leading. Every year, about 37 international students get this scholarship.
- Eligibility: You must be an international student, which means you are not a Canadian citizen and need a study permit. You must also be in your last year of high school or have graduated no earlier than June 2022, and you must start classes at the University of Toronto in September 2023.
- Coverage: It pays for tuition, books, miscellaneous fees, and full housing for four years.
- Other criteria: To become a Lester B. Pearson Scholar, your school must nominate you and you must apply to the University of Toronto’s undergraduate program.
Visit the Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships page to find out more about how to apply.
2. International Scholars Program at the University of British Columbia
Both merit and financial need are used to decide who gets these scholarships. The Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award, the Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award, the International Impact Award, and the Vantage One Excellence Award are the four types of scholarships that UBC gives out each academic year.
- Eligibility: You must be an international student with a Canadian study permit entering UBC from a recognized secondary school or transferring from your first year at another college or university. You can’t have graduated from high school before June 2022, and this must be your first college application. You also have to show that you would not be able to get a degree from UBC if you didn’t get the scholarship.
- Coverage: Awards are given out based on need, and the university gives about $10 million CAD a year to each of the 50 people who get help through the program. Recipients also have access to unique learning opportunities, annual retreats, dedicated advisors, and more.
- Other criteria: You only fill out one application, and you don’t get to choose which award you want. Instead, UBC will automatically put you in the running for all awards for which you are eligible.
Visit the International Scholars Program page at UBC to find out more about how to apply.
3. International Entrance Scholarship at the University of Calgary
This program gives awards to new international students at the University of Calgary who have done great things both inside and outside of the classroom. At the moment, this scholarship is given to two students every year based on their performance.
- Eligibility: To be eligible, you must be an international student at the University of Calgary who is enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program that starts in the Fall of 2023. You have to be a new student and have a GPA of at least 3.20. You must also be able to speak English well enough to meet the university’s requirements.
- Coverage: The scholarship is worth $15,000 CAD and can be renewed every year in the second, third, and fourth years at the University of Calgary if you get a GPA of 2.60 or higher on at least 24 units in the fall and winter terms before. The whole amount of the award is $60,000 CAD.
- Other criteria: This scholarship is part of the High School Prestige Award, and you can apply for it through the UCalgary portal.
Visit the International Entrance Scholarship page at the University of Calgary for more information.
Graduate scholarships for students from other countries
1. Graduate Fellowship at the University of Manitoba
This program gives out more than $2 million a year to full-time masters and PhD students at the University of Manitoba who have a history of doing well in school and have been recognized for their achievements.
- Eligibility: All students who are accepted into these programs without restrictions are welcome to apply, as long as they have a GPA of at least 3.0 when they are accepted.
- Coverage: Master’s awards from UMGF are worth $14,000 CAD per year for 12 or 24 months, which adds up to a maximum of $28,000 CAD. Doctoral awards from the UMGF are worth $18,000 CAD per year for 12, 24, 36, or 48 months, for a total of $72,000 CAD.
Visit the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships page to learn more.
2. Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
Graduate students at 19 publicly funded Ontario universities are eligible for this scholarship. These universities include the University of Toronto, the University of Guelph, McMaster University, the University of Ottawa, Queen’s University, Ryerson University, the University of Waterloo, Western University, and York University. Two-thirds of the money for each award comes from the province of Ontario, and the other third comes from the school giving the award.
- Eligibility: International students who are studying or plan to study a full-time graduate program (master’s or doctoral level) at one of the 19 participating universities in Ontario with a valid temporary resident visa (student study permit) are eligible for OGS awards (study permits must be valid as of the graduate units’ OGS international application deadline). Applications are judged based on how well they meet the criteria set by the schools that are taking part.
- Coverage: The OGS is worth $5,000 CAD each term. So, winners can get $10,000 CAD for two terms in a row or $15,000 CAD for three terms in a row.
- Other requirements: Applicants must send an OGS application to their proposed graduate unit through the centralized OGS application portal at their school. If you want to apply to more than one school that is part of OGS, you will need to fill out a separate application for each school.
Go to the Ontario Graduate Scholarships page for more information.
Where to find out more about Canadian scholarships for students from other countries
This list of scholarships is by no means complete, so make sure to do your own research and see what else is out there. Start by asking your school if there are any scholarships for international students that you qualify for. You might also be able to get program-specific or independent scholarships to help you study in Canada like you’ve always wanted to. You can get started by looking at Educanada, studentawards.ca, and scholarshipscanada.com.
Other options for financing your university or college education in Canada
Scholarships can help Canadians pay for post-secondary education. Even with a scholarship, you may need other funding.
Canada may offer student loans or lines of credit to international students. Universities, colleges, and other groups may offer student grants and scholarships. Many international students work in Canada to cover living expenses.a
Canada is expensive for international students. International students can receive many scholarships from the Canadian government and universities. This tool will help you find Canadian scholarships.
- FIRSTLY, CANADA WORK VISA 2023: NO LMIA || VISA & ACCOMMODATION PROVIDED
- SECONDLY, BECOME A TEACHER IN CANADA | PERMANENT RESIDENCY | MOVE TO CANADA
- THIRDLY, LIST OF COUNTRIES WHERE UAE EXPATS CAN GET AN E-VISA
- MOREOVER, CANADA’S FAMILY CLASS AND SPOUSE WORK PERMITS ARE OPEN
- THEN, CANADA OFFERS NEW INVESTMENT PROSPECTS IN IMMIGRANT SETTLEMENT SERVICES
- ALSO, CHECK THE NEWLY UNVEILED CANADA’S ‘WORLD’S MOST BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED’ PASSPORT
- FINALLY, THE BEST AND WORST COUNTRIES FOR SCHENGEN VISAS FOR TRAVELLERS REVEAL
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED