Chelsea’s transfer ban has been lifted in time for the club to make signings next month, and boss Lampard has admitted strengthening in the forward areas is a priority
Frank Lampard has set his sights on bolstering Chelsea’s attacking options in the transfer window ahead of a £150 million spree.
The Blues’ boss has reportedly identified five potential targets to sign in January after the club’s transfer ban was lifted last week.
Priority for Lampard is landing a striker, with Frenchman Olivier Giroud likely to depart next month.
The Guardian report that CSKA Moscow’s Fyodor Chalov, Lyon’s Moussa Dembéle and Red Bull Leipzig’s Timo Werner are all among the options on Lampard’s shortlist.
He is also said to be keeping tabs on the situations of Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho and Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha as the search for a replacement for Eden Hazard continues.
Following his side’s win over Lille on Tuesday, Lampard said: “I will look at all areas of the team but I think it was quite clear in the summer that you lose Eden Hazard, who was a huge part of scoring or creating our goals last season and the season before that.”
Zaha has been itching for a move away from Palace for some time, and a move across London would suit the 26-year-old, although boss Roy Hodgson recently announced he expected his star man to remain at the club in the short term.
Chelsea would also face stiff competition for Sancho, with Liverpool and Man Utd both interested, and a transfer is unlikely before the end of the season.
Lampard added: “I’m calm about this window. We don’t see so much great business in January.
“If it’s there to be done it’s right for the club and that’s a conversation for me and upstairs. I don’t think we’ll go crazy just because the ban has been lifted.”
Should Giroud leave Stamford Bridge however that could force Chelsea into action, with Tammy Abraham and Michy Batshuayi the only other recognised strikers at the club.
Giroud is keen to gain more first-team minutes in order to make France’s squad for the Euro 2020 finals, and Chelsea look set to cash in on the 33-year-old, rather than lose him for nothing when his contract expires next summer.
Of the strikers catching Lampard’s attention, Werner has notched 20 goals in 22 appearances, and has made no secret of his desire to move to a bigger club.
Chalov and Dembele are not as prolific as the German star, but would almost certainly be cheaper alternatives.
Bournemouth defender Nathan Ake also remains a target, with Chelsea considering a £40m bid.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED