The West Africa Democracy Solidarity Network “WADEMOS” is one of the regional projects of the Ghana Center for Democratic Development (CDD-Ghana), a think tank dedicated to promoting and strengthening democracy, good governance, and inclusive development, through research, analysis, education, and advocacy.
Conceived as a transnational democracy solidarity network, WADEMOS aims to mobilize, coordinate, and leverage the collective power of civil society and other pro-democracy actors, resources, and opportunities within the West African region to advance, defend, and reinvigorate democracy and promote democratic norms and reforms in the sub-region, including through engagement with regional institutions and instruments.
The Network Coordinator (NC) works in partnership with the Steering Committee and Advisory Council to provide leadership, vision, and direction for WADEMOS. S/he will work with staff and the wider Network to, implement strategies and policies approved by the Steering Committee, manage WADEMOS operations, and represent WADEMOS externally to a wide range of stakeholders including funders, partners, professional advisors, opinion formers, influencers, politicians, and the media.
A. Strategic Leadership
- Provide visible, inspiring, and effective leadership through a period of structural and cultural change, generating enthusiasm, understanding, and commitment, with the intellectual dynamism to keep WADEMOS projects and programs on the cutting-edge of policy-relevant governance and development issues.
- Build positive and productive relationships with the Steering Committee and Advisory Council, to deliver strategic leadership and leverage influence and resources to achieve the WADEMOS mission
- Build and lead an effective, high performing team that delivers on plans and strategies manages risk and generates opportunities for the future
- Manage staff in a multi-site environment
- Work with the Steering Committee to define and review WADEMOS vision and mission; set the strategic plan, financial and supporting strategies, and reporting mechanisms to review outcomes
- Work with the Network Director and key members of the network to develop strategy and implement the business plan
- Maintain close relationships with key influencers and decision-makers, including ECOWAS, AU, national-level politicians, civil servants, specialist bodies, third sector organizations, funders, and stakeholders across the West Africa Sub-region.
- Facilitate change and transformation; drive a high-performing and innovative culture to maximize opportunities and ensure that WADEMOS, operations are efficient and effective
- Act as a champion for equality, democracy, diversity, and inclusion across the WADEMOS Network
B. Governance and Risk Management
- With support from the Steering Committee and Network Director, maintain an appropriate and proportionate governance framework, allowing WADEMOS to operate efficiently and with exemplary probity, fulfilling all Network, project/program, and financial reporting responsibilities/obligations
- Ensure WADEMOS has policies, systems, and processes in place that are fit for purpose and support WADEMOS’ efficiency and effectiveness
- Regularly review major risks to the project and implementation of the WADEMOS framework and strategy, and ensure that systems are in place to manage and mitigate them.
C. Financial Management and Resource Mobilization
- Lead the staff in developing realistic activity budgets, and making financial decisions consistent with the budget as approved by the Board; set and deliver business goals and priorities within the constraints of the non-profit environment
- Deliver operational plans, budgets, and systems for financial accountability and effective resource management, ensuring adequate cash flow to cover operational needs
- Provide quarterly financial reports to the Network Director to be presented to the Steering Committee that compare performance to budget and to the previous year or agreed benchmark.
- Develop income generation strategies and deliver on these to support sustainable growth, reach and impact.
- Take responsibility for the financial health and robust planning of WADEMOS, ensuring Key Performance Indicators are in place, balancing any expansion with income generation
- Conduct multiyear financial analysis, analyzing trends, and ensuring financial stability and sustainability, including the development of adequate operating reserves
- Lead the development of funding proposals and initiatives for the WADEMOS Network
- Enable strategies for maintaining, developing, and diversifying income, positioning WADEMOS to raise funds for work while preserving its independence
- Ensure coordination of seamless activity across the network, especially amongst partners, DemoCratives,
- Work with the Steering Committee and Advisory Council to identify, cultivate and steward old and new funders
- Commit significant time personally to the cultivation and stewardship of major funders
- Enhance WADEMOS’ position as a leading voice in policy processes in the West Africa Sub-region
- Develop policy proposals for Steering Committee discussion and decision
- Act as an ambassador/spokesperson for WADEMOS at functions, conferences, meetings, and events and in the media; represent WADEMOS in relevant policy-making circles in the region and internationally
- Ensure WADEMOS and the WADEMOS brand is presented in a consistent and professional manner to audiences, to meet goals, build a reputation and foster effective partnerships
- Build productive and positive relationships with funders, partners, stakeholders, policymakers, media, and professional bodies, building bridges and leveraging collaboration to benefit WADEMOS
- Maintain a leading role within West African democratic governance and inclusive social and economic development communities, building bridges and leveraging collaboration
E. Human Resources Management
- Develop a staffing structure that supports the efficient delivery of the program, the accomplishment of major goals identified in the strategic plan, and effective overall management
- Build and manage the workforce, ensuring that employees are appropriately recruited, selected, appraised, and rewarded, and those performance problems are addressed
- Implement personnel policies approved by the Steering Committee; regularly review and update as necessary
- Foster an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve WADEMOS’ vision and mission
- Develop the ability of individuals to perform and contribute to the mission of WADEMOS by providing ongoing feedback and opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods
- Lead by example in fostering the desired workplace culture that promotes WADEMOS values
- Oversee the development, implementation, and evaluation of activities
- Secure resources (human, material, and financial) to support a sustainable organization
- Ensure appropriate measurement, evaluation, and reporting on the progress and impact of WADEMOS West Africa, and the changing needs of policymakers, to keep pace, anticipate change and identify new opportunities
Qualifications and Requirements
The successful candidate will be a dynamic and communicative leader, capable of winning trust and respect, and will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Personal and professional integrity and commitment to mission expected of WADEMOS leader
- Alignment to WADEMOS core values including equality, diversity, and inclusion
- Enthusiasm for self-development and learning, ability to keep pace with changes in relevant subject areas as well as digital technologies
- Ability and willingness to have a high profile, enhancing the role that WADEMOS plays nationally, regionally, and internationally
- Energy, stamina, and resilience for the role; willingness to travel off-site across the region and internationally, and ability to cope with the demands of conflicting priorities
- Intellectual capacity, independence of mind, and breadth of understanding to grasp complex issues and exercise strategic judgment; ability to assimilate complex information, analyze and act
Essential Experience, Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of the West Africa Sub Region, ECOWAS, and AU Protocols
- Knowledge and understanding of WADEMOS work, the West Africa policy environment, and key players
- Senior leadership experience delivering results in a complex and changing organization, with a track record of successful
- Strategy development, including change management
- Fundraising and income generation from diverse sources and management of funder relationships
- Financial management and planning, using resources effectively, and to budget
- Team building, creating a high performing and confident team of passionate, experienced, and independent individuals with appropriate skills.
- Productive working with a Board and an approach to governance that encourages an open, transparent, and collaborative culture
- Excellent reputation (in an area relevant to WADEMOS) among senior peers and a substantial international network that includes key funders
- Outstanding communication (written and verbal), interpersonal and negotiation skills with the proven ability to persuade and influence; ability to engage effectively with key internal and external stakeholders
- Advanced degree in relevant field
- Fluent in written and spoken English and French
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CVs with a cover letter addressed to the Executive Director by email to [email protected] Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject of the email.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The deadline for application is April 8, 2022
- Newmont Mining Corporation Job Opportunities
- Coca-Cola Ghana Limited Invites Job Applications
- West Africa Trade and Investment Hub April 2022 Jobs
- Job Vacancy at First National Bank Ghana
- International Workplace Group New Job Openings
- Plan International Latest Job Vacancy
- Jumia Ghana Invites Job Applications
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED