- Company: United Nations Population Fund
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
Under the overall guidance of the Representative and direct supervision of the Chief Technical Specialist – Maternal Health/Family Planning, the Programme Assistant supports the program team.
The Programme Assistant is responsible for supporting the activities of one or more Programme Analysts in a number of respects, providing technical support in key areas of human resource development for maternal health including research, data analysis, logistical support, and field visits.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders in the country: Ministry of Health, Midwifery associations, Training institutions, The National Nursing and Midwifery Council, Civil Society Organizations, including NGOs, Other allied health professional associations e.g., obstetricians, nurses, Traditional and community stakeholders
- Assess and map resources, needs, and gaps in midwifery as appropriate, including assessing the skills of SBAs: Human resource planning and management of the midwifery workforce, Education and training, Professional association development, Standards, and regulation
- Mobilize technical support for key strategic areas: National midwifery association, Midwifery regulations, and standards, including standardization of MOH/GHS job descriptions for midwives to foster optimal use of midwife’s skills (scope of practice),
- Training and education of midwives and other skilled attendants, In-service training and supervision of midwives and other skilled attendants,
- Monitoring & Evaluation of midwifery within MOH/GHS human resources for health plans
- Mobilize advocates for midwifery through the national midwifery association and other stakeholders, including the use of platforms such as the International Day of the Midwife
Document and share good (best) practices with other Country Midwife Advisers and Regional Midwife Advisers
- Facilitate networking and coalition-building with other national programs, agencies, organizations, and professionals to improve reproductive health, particularly maternal and newborn health
- Coordinate, plan, manage and report on work plans, budgets, strategies, and results of the Ministry of Health, which would be the main Implementing Partner (IP) for UNFPA in midwifery programming
- Manage and report on activities, strategies, and results of other assigned IPs
- Work with the Programme Officer in charge of the Maternal Health Thematic Fund to provide timely reports (financial and programmatic) and make inputs in the development of work plans for the fund
- Report to the UNFPA Country Representative, Deputy Representative, and the Chief Technical Specialist -Maternal Health/Family Planning on all responsibilities, including other assigned roles.
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified midwife.
- Postgraduate training would be an added advantage.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years experience in practicing midwifery with excellent knowledge of midwifery education, legislation, and regulation
- Minimum of 3 years experience in governance, consultation, administration, or management of programs related to midwifery
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience in public speaking.
- Knowledge and experience in program management, including small budget management
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic planning skills
- Demonstrate skills in team and consensus building
- Fluency in English and any local language
- Fluency in computer and international communication technologies
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Commitment to UNFPA Values and Guiding Principles
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Advocacy/Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Results-based program development and management
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches, including strategic partnership, resource mobilization, and south-south cooperation.
HOW TO APPLY
CLOSING DATE: November 18, 2021
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED