The 5 WAEC West Africa participating countries
WAEC is an acronym for West African Examination Council is an examination body responsible for conducting examinations for five Anglo West African countries.
HISTORY OF WAEC
WAEC was founded in 1952 after the enactment of the West African Examinations Council Ordinances in 1951 by the government of Ghana (then Gold Coast), Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and The Gambia. The bill of Ordinance was passed on the Jeffrey report. Thus, this report wanted to set up a regional examination board. Their aim was to set the standards and assesses the procedures for entering the universities in West Africa.
OBJECTIVES OF THE WEST AFRICAN EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
The council’s main objectives are to :
- Firstly, to conduct an examination that will be in the interest of the public.
- Secondly, to award a high standard certificate that is equivalent to certificates that are awarded in the United Kingdom
Additionally, the council wants to remain the paramount examining body in Africa that provides quality educational assessment and encourages academic as well as moral excellence.
in view of this, the council’s core values are Integrity, Professionalism, Accountability, Transparency, Teamwork, Innovativeness, and Excellence.
OPERATIONAL PROCESSES OF WAEC
WAEC is responsible for Pre-Examination activities and these include the development and review of the syllabus, Floating of examinations, Receipt of entries, Allocation of index numbers, Designation of centers, Printing and packaging of examination materials, Briefing of examination administration personnel, as well as Distribution of examination materials.
Another responsibility is the conducting of the examination and this entails inspecting the examination sites and administering text.
Last but not least, the post-examination activities. These activities include the Collection of scripts from the various examination centers, coordination and marking of scripts, Script checking, Processing of marks, Standard Fixing and Award activities, Investigating whether there were any examination irregularities and malpractice, Releasing the results, and Issuing certificates.
COUNTRIES THAT ARE A PART OF THE WAEC
Since its establishment, WAEC has conducted exams for these five-member countries Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and The Gambia on both the national and international levels.
In Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and The Gambia the West African Examination Council conducts the terminal examinations for all students at the pre-tertiary levels of education. Hence, the Council’s examinations are a means of selecting tests for progression from one level to the other in the country’s educational structure up to the tertiary level. Therefore, the results obtained from the Council’s examinations are used for direct entry into all tertiary institutions in these aforementioned countries.
The National examinations for the various countries are
- Firstly, the Junior Secondary School Certificate for Nigeria and Gambia
- Secondly, National Primary School and Basic Education Certificate Examination for Sierra Leone
- Also, Basic Education Certificate Examination for Ghana and
- Lastly, Senior School Certificate Examination for Ghana.
The council has its headquarters in Ghana
- Top 5 African Countries with the Best Education Systems
- HOW TO GET A UK VISA IN GHANA
- What You Need To Know When Starting A Business
- What You Need To Know When Buying A Car
- How Do I Get Rid Of The White Stuff On My Tongue
- Get Rid Of Vagina Odour Immediately
- HOW TO PREPARE PIZZA FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR HOME
- HOW DO I KNOW MY BLOOD GROUP
- KNOW WHY YOU SHOULD NOT MARRY PEOPLE WITH CERTAIN BLOOD GROUPS
- How Can I Stop White Discharge and Itching Naturally
- How to stop menstrual pains fast at home
- What Are the Symptoms & Signs of Gonorrhea and Syphilis?
- How can I stop the pain when I urinate?
- How can I stop sperm from coming early?
- Apply for Police Clearance Certificate in Ghana
For daily job alerts and guide to worldwide visas, join our WhatsApp and Telegram group
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE WHATSAPP GROUP
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE TELEGRAM GROUP
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED