Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for SIAs Coordinator at World Health Organization
- Company: World Health Organization
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: International Jobs in Ghana
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES:
Ghana confirmed outbreak of circulating Vaccine-Derived Poliovirus Type 2 (cVDPV2) in August 2019 in the Northern Region. The outbreak has since spread to nine other regions in the country. With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, response activities to the polio outbreak were largely suspended. In order to prevent further spread of the poliovirus, the country will restart implementation of polio outbreak response activities to help break transmission.
The Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) seeks to ensure that future generations of children will be free from the threat of polio. Achieving this goal depends on interrupting poliovirus transmission and on ensuring rapid and effective responses to poliovirus outbreaks occurring in polio-free countries
GPEI Strategy for the response to the cVDPV2 2020–2021, offers contingency measures across four mutually supportive areas of work: 1. enhanced outbreak response; 2. vaccine supply and usage; 3. early detection of new outbreaks; and 4. communication and promotion. Countries experiencing cVDPV2 outbreaks are expected to implement these strategies and break transmission within the shortest possible time.
The World Health Organization (WHO) Country Office for Ghana seeks to engage highly motivated professionals to support the implementation of polio outbreak response activities.
Description of duties:
Under the overall guidance of WHO Representative to Ghana and direct supervision of the GPEI Coordinator and the National Professional Officers (NPOs) for Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) and Surveillance, the incumbent will have the following responsibilities in her/his assigned area of work:
1. Support the preparation of high-quality pre-implementation (micro-planning, training, logistics.) plans and keep records of all microplans
2. Lead the preparations of preparedness dashboards for all levels
3. Support the implementation of microplans at all levels
4. Guide the implementation of key recommendations and agreed action points from the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and meetings aimed at raising the quality of campaign
5. Support the monitoring of supplemental immunization activities (SIA) implementation especially in high risk areas and institute timely corrective actions
6. Participate in the training on lot quality assurance sampling (LQAS) survey and independent monitoring (IM) and support supervision of Independent monitors and ensure findings used for immediate action
7. Document best practices, challenges, appropriate action and feed into planning for subsequent round i.e. evidence-based planning, systematic feedback to government authorities.
8. Support the National EOC in developing evidence-based solutions and innovations for improving the quality of SIAs.
9. Support implementation of other health priorities as a part of WHO’s Country Cooperation Strategy
10. Undertake any other tasks/duties as assigned by supervisors.
|Education:Essential: Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health / Community Health or a relevant health field obtained from a recognized institution.
Desirable: Master’s in public health or related programme is desirable
Experience and Skills:
Essential: At least five years of public health experience/practice
Desirable: Experience in public health/program management and/or experience of working in the polio eradication / routine immunization programme.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and working knowledge of local language will be an asset.
This position will be filled only by a national of Ghana.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED