Right To Play is a global organisation that protects, educates and empowers children to rise above adversity using the power of play. By harnessing play, one of the most powerful and fundamental forces in a child’s life, we helped 2.3 million children last year to stay in school and out of work, to prevent life-threatening diseases and to stay safe from exploitation and abuse. We are the only global development organization focused exclusively on using play to transform the lives of children and youth impacted by poverty, war, disease and inequality.
Established in 2000, Right To Play is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has operations in 22 countries across North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
With a shared passion for our mission, our Culture Code guides how we act and interact based on five core pillars:
- Accept Everyone – Be intentional about inclusion
- Make Things Happen – Seek opportunities to lead and innovate
- Display Courage – Act with integrity
- Demonstrate Care – Look after yourself and one another
- Be Playful – Have fun at work
The Finance Manager reports directly to the Country Director (CD) and has functional reporting lines to the Senior Field Finance Manager and the Director, Global Field Finance where applicable. The incumbent is responsible for the proper implementation of financial procedures in all Right To Play programs in the country of operation. The incumbent is responsible for overseeing and maintaining effective and efficient accounting and financial records, ensuring timely and accurate financial reports, practicing sound financial and cash flow management practices and ensuring internal controls compliance for the offices in the country of operations such as cash management, payroll, financial disbursements and ledgers.
Job Responsibility #1: Grant Management (30%)
- Supports projects’ funding proposals: assists with budgets, reviews proposals, assesses the grant proposal finance reporting requirements and provides supporting documents.
- Ensures complete documentation of funding awards.
- Works with program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments ensuring adequate coverage of country operating costs and Regional Office and HQ direct and indirect costs as per RTP guidelines.
- Manages the grant tracking file and systems to ensure timely invoicing, periodic reporting and closing of grants to fulfil obligations contained in grant agreements.
- Works with Program Managers to comply with funder’s terms and conditions, monitor spending and deliverables.
- Monitors project support to ensure consistent compliance with the terms of grant agreements, including financial management and compliance with donor’s regulations.
Job Responsibility #2: Financial Accounting and Reporting (20% of Time):
- Documents and maintains complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Oversees the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
- Analyses all financial transactions and preparation of journal entries for accrual, prepayments, corrections and adjustments.
- Prepares and reviews country balance sheet on a monthly basis and submits to Regional Office.
- Provides accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects.
- Ensures accurate and timely financial statements are prepared in accordance with contract agreements with funders.
- Stays abreast on program priorities and their financial implications and makes field trips at least on a quarterly basis to conduct audit spot checks.
- Coordinates and supports annual external organizational audits and grant audits.
- Develops schedules, performs or supervises the completion of country internal control audits, and initiates actions necessary to correct internal control weaknesses.
Job Responsibility #3 Planning, Budgeting and Forecasting (15% of Time):
- Supports the program team in preparation of detailed activity-based program and operational budgets for Grants.
- Supports the CD in preparation of annual country office operating budgets, and bi-annual forecasts.
- Supports the Program Manager (PM) liaising with Projects and partners in the process of budget reviews, analysis and use of standardised templates.
- Assists the CD and the PM with the preparation of budgets for funding applications.
- Identifies any shortfalls in shared costs budget coverage and ensures new budgets cover the appropriate percentage of shared costs and reviews of unrestricted funding versus approved allocation and advise the CD & PM on the most efficient cost recovery methods and techniques in line with the organizational policy.
- Monitors and reviews budgets to support financial stability, ongoing project viability, and consistency with agreed technical plans and actual implementation. Provides strategic direction regarding the annual work plan, budget and changes to project plans, ensuring the cost efficiency and value-for-money over the life of the project.
- Reviews actual vs. forecasted budget financial results with the Programs Team to ensure maximum utilization of budgeted amounts and to provide recommendations for realignments as required
Job Responsibility #4: Team Management (10% of Time):
- Develops and implements a training program to ensure staff development and minimize RTP’s exposure when staff are absent or depart for the country’s staff including partners to ensure everyone’s understanding of budgetary components and financial compliance requirements of the project/organization.
- Ensures comprehensive and constructive performance reviews are completed on a timely basis and facilitates discussion of performance and career options with all country finance staff.
- Leads the Finance Team and logistics (where applicable), monitors performance of direct reports, assesses the performance gaps in his/her direct reports and provides timely feedback, recommends to management the needed ongoing support and appropriate training and development in order to close the gaps.
- Sets performance objectives and developing action plans with direct reports to achieve goals.
- Oversees training and technical support to country program, logistics and administrative staff for skills improvement in the areas of accounting, reporting and internal control.
- Provides ongoing support and coaching to strengthen the finance team’s performance towards serving stakeholders’ needs. This will include support visits where necessary.
Job Responsibility #5: RTP Financial Guidelines, Policies and Procedures (5% of Time):
- Maintains current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
- Closely monitors all financial activities, and keeps the DAFBA/DMEAF advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
- Complies and keeps abreast with all organizational policies, procedures, and guidelines and internal controls framework.
Job Responsibility #6: Payroll Management (5% of Time):
- Ensures that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including but not limited to Charitable Status, Withholding Payments, Income Tax, Social Security and VAT.
- Oversees all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner and issues pay slips.
- Ensures accurate and timely monthly payroll preparation process as well as quarterly and annual payroll reconciliations.
- Ensures all employees have submitted correct and signed timesheets as per the approved level of Effort percentages.
Job Responsibility #7: Management of Cash and Bank Transactions (5% of Time):
- Supervises the preparation of Cash Transfer Requests to HQ through the Regional Office and ensures that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate grant implementation.
- Oversees the daily cash/bank management of financial transactions.
- Oversees all the incoming wires from HQ/Donors.
- Oversees the timely preparation, review and approval of all monthly bank account and cash reconciliations.
- Monitors petty cash accounts including the spot checking of balances and payments.
- Designs, implements, and monitors systems and procedures to maintain accurate up-to-date forecasts of cash requirements for meeting future spending, including commitments entered into and which obligate RTP to future spending.
- Supervises the collection and recoverability of contractual, project partner activity advances, staff activity and travel advances and other receivables.
Job Responsibility #8: Administrative and Logistics Functions (5% of Time):
- Ensures proper purchase related templates are used, all purchases are correctly analysed and adequate supporting documents are well maintained as per the checklist and aligned with Policies.
- Ensures proper travel related templates are used, travel related data are properly reviewed and analysed and adequate supporting documents are well maintained as per the Policies.
- Oversees the protection of the country’s assets (inventory and fixed assets) through the enforcement of internal control policies and procedures by ensuring that the Fixed Assets and Inventory registers are in place and updated bi-annually and reported to RO office.
- Ensures all expenses are authorized and approved in line with In Field Authorization Policy.
- Oversees the administration and Logistics functions (where applicable) to ensure compliance with RTP and donor procurement procedures
Job Responsibility #9: Perform other duties assigned (5% of Time)
Required Skills or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting or related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively-responsible related experience in all aspects of accounting for non-profit
- Five years or more experience in handling the local/international grants and grant financial reports
- CPA, ACCA or CMA or other related designations
Competencies / Personal Attributes:
- Ability to plan and implement work plan with minimum supervision
- Good networking and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with large data with attention to details
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication and reporting skills
- Strong analytical abilities and ability to prepare concise and informative financial reports.
- Excellent reporting skills
- Good professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team
- Leadership and management skills
- Results oriented and committed to accountability
- Fluency written and spoken English and the local language(s).
- Advanced knowledge in the use of financial software applications. MS Excel, MS Word, MS Power Point required.
WHO YOU ARE:
You are passionate about our commitment to help children and youth rise above life’s challenges through the power of play. You are highly collaborative and a relationship builder with a passion for humanitarian work, human rights and social change. You have been involved in Grants and budgetary management, forecasting and financial control. Your attention to detail is great and you have a positive, follow-through mindset. You are focused on strategically positioning Right To Play as a partner of choice for our donors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
The opportunity to work with a passionate, innovative and collaborative team where you have the ability to make things happen. You will gain experience working for a globally recognized organization with a healthy culture premised on our Culture Code (accept everyone, make things happen, display courage, demonstrate care and be playful). In addition, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Target Start Date: April 1st, 2021
Contract Duration: Long-term position – starts with a one-year contract to be extended based on performance
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying this role, click here to upload your resume and cover letter.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Right To Play provides equal employment opportunities to employees regardless of their gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status and in compliance with local legislative requirements. Women are encouraged to apply for this position. We are a child-centered organization. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children in our programs. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory police record check as a condition of employment.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED