Healthy ecosystems are at the heart of development, underpinning societal well-being and economic growth. Through nature-based solutions, such as the sustainable management and protection of land, rivers and oceans, UNDP helps ensure that countries have adequate food and water, are resilient to climate change and disasters, shift to green economic pathways, and can sustain work for billions of people through forestry, agriculture, fisheries and tourism.
UNDP is the primary actor on climate change in the United Nations. Our aim is to help build the Paris Agreement and all environmental agreements into the heart of countries’ development priorities.Promoting climate action and nature-based solutions in the forest and land use sector is one of UNDP’s key priorities in Ghana.
Under its current Country Programme (2018-2022), UNDP aims to strengthen public institutional capacities to reduce environmental degradation and implement climate action, as well as facilitate access to information, knowledge and tools that promote green jobs, citizen participation in environmental conservation, and community resilience. In this regard, UNDP has been facilitating public-private partnerships to reduce deforestation and forest degradation.
Since 2013, for example, UNDP has been partnering with Mondelez International and Ghana Cocoa Board to promote environmental sustainability of cocoa production. This year, UNDP will start the implementation of a landmark collaboration with Forestry Commission and Global Shea Alliance (with funding from the Green Climate Fund) to reduce emissions in the savanna landscape while protecting and promoting the shea value chain.
UNDP brings together two complementary streams of work: on one side, UNDP assists Ghana to implement the Paris Agreement by reducing deforestation, forest degradation and sustainably managing its forests, meeting internationally recognized framework and standards (e.g. REDD+); one the other side, UNDP works to improve the national, economic, social and environmental performance of agricultural commodity sectors, in order to improve the lives of farmers and their communities while protecting high conservation value forest and important vulnerable ecosystems.
The UNDP Ghana Country Office seeks to engage the services of a Project Management and Technical Officer to contribute to the timely, efficient and high-quality implementation of the Ghana Shea Landscape Emission Reductions Project (GSLERP) in line with UNDP and GCF requirements. S/he may also contribute to the implementation of other projects in the sector as deemed relevant by the Country Office.
The selected candidate will be based in the Environment and Climate Cluster and work under the direct supervision of Head of the Cluster in close collaboration with UNDP HQ and regional staff (in particular the UNDP Climate and Forest Team). S/he will liaise regularly with project partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
1. Project management with technical assistance Support effective and timely implementation of the Ghana Shea Landscape Emission Reductions Project (and other projects as needed).
- Provide project management and technical support to the implementation of the Ghana Shea Landscape Emission Reductions Project and other projects assigned to him/her.
- Support the development of project work-plans that include all project activities and roles and responsibilities of the stakeholders and setting-out corresponding milestones.
- Monitor project activities and progress and support partners in ensuring that the agreed deliverables are produced satisfactorily according to plans. In doing so, effectively apply Result Based Management (RBM) tools.
- Provide technical and management support to partners to produce high-quality progress reports in line with UNDP and donor requirements.
- Support the management and monitoring of project risks, including social and environmental risks.
- Support completion of assessments required by UNDP, spot checks and audits.
- Support management of requests for the provision of UNDP financial resources.
- Support the capturing of lessons learned during project implementation.
- Support any review and evaluation processes for the project. Support procurement of goods and services (e.g. consultants).
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Biodiversity and Eco systems Management
Knowledge of conservation, sustainable use and access and benefit sharing of biodiversity, land, forests and oceans and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Forests and development
Knowledge of forestry and development and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Knowledge of sustainable development concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, covering the economic, social and environmental dimensions
Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
Result Based Management
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, Inter-Agency
- Coordination and forge productive working relations
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or higher in project management, natural resource management, social sciences or closely related field.
- Completion of project management courses/diplomas is preferred
- At least 2 years of project management experience.
- At least 2 years of experience in the area of forest management and/or environmental management.
- Demonstrated experience in liaising and co-operating with government officials,
- municipal authorities, academic institutions, NGOs and the private sector.
- Experience preparing knowledge products and communications material is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE AND APPLY
CLOSING DATE : April 30, 2021
WhatsApp & Telegram Job Alert
Subscribe to Blog via Email
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED