Principal Accounting and Reporting Officer at African Union
About African Union
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion, and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African states as well as developing a new partnership worldwide.
Our Headquarters are located in Addis Ababa, the capital city of Ethiopia. The vision of the African Union is that of: “An integrated, prosperous and peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena”.
Our mission is to become “An efficient and value-adding institution driving the African integration and development process in close collaboration with African Union Member States, the Regional Economic Communities and African citizens”.
Purpose of this African Union Job
To lead the closure of accounts, produce International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) compliant financial statements, prepare special purpose financial statements, coordinate internal and external audits including follow-up on the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Provide technical and intellectual support in the management of various partnerships relevant for the division and directorate;
- Identify best practices and monitor effectiveness of the division/directorate’s support to AU;
- Contribute to the development of the departmental strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation;
- Involve in negotiations;
- Foster and ensure implementation of large-scale and long-term initiatives related to strategic partnerships;
- Support the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations;
- Develop training materials and provide necessary training and support to Organization Units;
- Provide technical resource allocation and policy guidance on matters relating to system -Implementation projects and maintenance.
- Supervise all the audiences organized by the office of the Secretary General and AfCFTA directors when necessary
- Prepare and supervise ceremonies and official functions
- Develop and maintain regular working relations with top level stakeholders in appropriate agencies of Member States and partners
- Manage all aspects of the monthly, quarterly and year-end closure of accounts including development and implementation of detailed closure instructions;
- Prepare general and special purpose financial statements of AfCFTA in compliance with IPSAS and in line with AU FRR, including all the necessary supporting schedules and notes;
- Ensure accuracy, integrity, quality and timeliness of all financial statements and transactions;
- Maintain custody over AfCFTA general ledger and provide technical leadership and guidance on compliance with IPSAS on all financial transactions recording and reporting;
- Work with key stakeholders across AfCFTA to ensure risks associated with the production of the annual report are identified and managed accordingly;
- Supervise bank reconciliation, Imprest Settlement, Accounts Receivable and Payable and Fixed Asset accounting functions;
- Prepare various financial reports upon request for decision making and for information;
- Participate in development and implementation of accounting policy documents such as
- Ensure proper functioning of the AfCFTA accounting system and manage the maintenance of Chart of Accounts.
Financial oversight and monitoring
- Provide oversight over all financial transactions of AfCFTA;
- Take a proactive approach in identifying issues related to data quality and liaise with related Divisions in AfCFTA to ensure timely and necessary corrections;
- Contribute to developing and maintaining a strong control environment around financial reporting and the integrity of data used for preparation of AfCFTA financial statements;
- Ensure that all deadlines applicable to accounts closure and financial reporting are met.
Financial Advisory and IPSAS Compliance
- Prepare regular financial management reports including forecasts and past and current expenditure trends and patterns for senior management review and for evaluation of AfCFTA financial position;
- Act as the IPSAS Expert and support AfCFTA in gap assessments and leading the implementation of new developments in IPSAS;
- Manage and oversee IPSAS compliance including development and operationalization of all related policies, regulations, rules, procedures.
External and Internal Audit Coordination
- Prepare audit related reports to be submitted to the Board of External Auditors (BOEA), Office of Internal Oversight (OIO) and AfCFTA management;
- Coordinate with external auditors during interim and year end audit;
- Prepare action plans and oversees the implementation of actions in relation to audit recommendations regarding financial audits;
- Assist the Director of Finance and Head of Division in managing the relationship with the BOEA and Office of Internal Oversight.
Capacity building and system improvement
- Support process documentation and continuous process improvements.
- Responsible for providing guidance and advice to AfCFTA management and staff in the area of financial accounting, interpretation and operational guidance on the application of the IPSAS and AU FRR;
- Contribute to the development of internal capacity across AfCFTA regarding financial accounting and IPSAS.
- Monitor and evaluate staff performance and provide objective performance appraisal reports;
- Perform other relevant duties assigned by the Director of Finance and Head of Division.
- Lead all aspects of monthly, quarterly and year-end closures of accounts and the production of IPSAS compliant financial statements.
- Exercise periodic monitoring over transactions and account balances to ensure recording and reporting in accordance with African Union Financial Rules and Regulations (AU FRR) and other applicable African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) Directives and Operational Instructions;
- Assist the Director of Finance and Head of Division to coordinate internal and external audits;
- Develop innovative solutions to optimize financial processes and reduce manual work and increase automation around financial reporting;
- Drive SAP and internal control process improvements
- Developing and implementing Finance and Accounting policies such as Financial Rules and Regulations, Accounting Policies and Procedure Manuals and SOPs.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in business administration, Strategic Planning, finance, accounting or related field.with 10 years of relevant work experience of which six (6) years should be at managerial level and three (3) years at supervisory level within an international, regional or national organization.
- Bachelor degree in in business administration, Strategic Planning, finance, accounting or related areas with twelve (12) years of relevant work experience of which six (6) years should be at managerial level and three (3) years at supervisory level within an international, regional or national organization.
- A professional qualification such as CPA, CA, ACCA, CIMA, Expert Comptable or equivalent is an added advantage.
- Certification in IPSAS from a recognized professional accounting body is highly desirable.
- Experience in financial accounting, finance and audit in a large international organisation or business corporation is required.
- Experience in preparing IPSAS compliant financial statements and donor reports in AU or similar international organization is required.
- Hands-on experience in the use of SAP or similar ERP is required.
- Experience in coordinating internal and external audits.
- Proven experience in establishing accounting function in an organization at national or international organisation.
- Advance knowledge in the application of Microsoft Office Suite particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to successfully manage teams in Multicultural and Multilingual environment;
- Financial Reporting and Analytical skills;
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Presentation, report writing and communication skills;
- Computer skills with practical knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Planning and organizing skills
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Method of Application
Closing Date : 23rd May. 2022
- NEW MODERN WORLD COMPANY CALLS FOR JOB APPLICATIONS
- Sandvik Mining and Rock Technology New Job Recruitment
- JOB VACANCY AT THERMOTECH ENGINEERING & PROJECTS LTD
- Clean Team Ghana Invites Job Applications
- Exciting Job Opportunities at Twitter
- AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited Job Recruitment – April 2022
- World Food Programme Latest Employment Opportunities
- Jumia Group Latest Job Opportunity
- Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP) Job Vacancy
- Teaching Job at a prestigious international school
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED