Oxfam is a rights-based global development organization with more than 70 years of experience in more than 90 countries worldwide. Oxfam’s mission is to end the injustice of poverty and inequality through systemic change and the advancement of political, economic, and social rights.
Oxfam has been working in Ghana since 1986, managing programs related to food security and livelihoods, universal access to education and healthcare, and transparency and accountability in extractive industries (mining, oil, and gas).
Oxfam’s experience in Ghana and strong partnerships with government institutions, Ghanaian civil society organizations, and NGOs support the delivery of active and innovative programs and advocacy work seeking to improve the livelihoods of Ghanaians and strengthen citizen accountability. Oxfam in Ghana currently works in 11 out of Ghana’s 16 administrative regions.
The Project Coordinator will play a key role in leading coordination and implementation of the project in the targeted regions and districts and ensure quality delivery of the Global Affairs Canada (GAC) funded project in Ghana.
S/he will develop and manage relations with partner organizations, state agencies, local authorities, private sector among others and ensure proper implementation of activities and delivery of project results in a programmatic and transformative partnership approach.
The position will ensure coordination and cross-learning among the consortium partners as well as working closely with Oxfam Quebec who holds the contract with the donor.
The incumbent will contribute significantly to the ongoing power analysis and strategic direction of the WeACT project and connects aspects of it to the regional, continental, and international level work on women’s economic empowerment.
Ensures an integrated approach and connectedness (synergy) of the project including ways of working and coordination; and connects with other internal (Affiliates) and external (donors, partners, allies, CS movements) stakeholders in such a way as to maximize efficiency and impactful delivery.
It will be essential for the role to work with consortium partners to ensure that all donor policies and procedures and other relevant Oxfam policies and procedures are adhered to. Represent Oxfam at internal and external women’s theme events and meetings as appropriate.
The role also requires dedicated and targeted engagement with government, and regional institutions, civil society coalitions, the private sector, and influential persons in various fora.
Strategic Project Management:
- Responsible for the development of project implementation plan (PIP) and monitoring and evaluation framework with the support of the Campaigns, Advocacy and Influencing Lead, Program Effectiveness, Just Economy Program, and Policy Manager, and Program Manager at Oxfam Quebec
- Develop and update the project implementation plan and budget according to the contribution agreement and the requirements of the donor, in collaboration with the project team and Oxfam affiliates
- Develop and update the annual project work plans and budget according to the contribution agreement and the requirements of the donor in collaboration with the project team and Oxfam affiliates
- Develop quarterly and monthly operational plans (activities vs budgets) of the project in collaboration with partners and staff
- Guarantee the sound financial management of the project according to the policies and procedures of Oxfam and the donor
- Liaise with the Oxfam logistics team for the procurement of goods and services for the project, to guarantee correct application of the procurement procedures
- Prepare and submit narrative reports within the deadlines and terms set out in accordance with the contribution agreement and the requirements of the donor
- Working with implementing partners, overseeing reporting process, and ensuring high quality and timely donor deliverables in close collaboration with involved partner officers
- Manage the relationship with partners directly and ensure close collaboration and support to the implementation
- In collaboration with project monitoring and evaluation staff, ensure development and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation framework to track progress and report
- Ensure development of a communication and visibility plan with communication project staff
- Facilitate some key activities of the WeACT project in accordance with the project implementation plan including, for example, leading on learning exercises that cut across the work of all consortium partners
- Manage the relationship with the GAC Delegation in Ghana with the support of senior management ensuring timely and regular communication and updates
- Ensure adequate line of communication (internal and external) and visibility of the project both at the national and local level in coordination with the Program Manager, the Head of Campaigns, Advocacy, and Influencing, and Oxfam affiliates
- Create, support, and coordinate an environment that generates solid collaborations and partnerships, influence, knowledge sharing, and innovation
- Undertake management and matrix management of team members as assigned
- Induct staff to the project, motivate and inspire them to maximize full potential on the project
- Ensure the application of standards, procedures, and policies including compliance with the code of conduct, performance management, safety, and local legislation according to Oxfam and donor requirements.
- Provide guidance and feedback for the staff on project design, implementation, and monitoring
- Contribute to the preparation of annual performance goals with staff and monitor performance against key deliverables for the project alongside the primary line manager
- Contribute to Let’s Talk processes ensuring support is provided to accompany the staff to perform to their full potential on the project while supporting their career development plans
- Support and build the capacity of the WeACT project team, and partners, to design, implement, monitor, and evaluate the project
- Support staff capacity reviews within the team and develop personal development plans to improve team capacity
Compliance and Governance
- Adhere to all Oxfam program requirements and standards in relation to approved systems and program implementation plan, project cycle management, program quality, and program learning, and other requirements.
- Ensure compliance with the Code of Conduct on the part of the project team by committing to be exemplary in practices and behaviors as well as the follow-up to put in place Safeguarding policies and practices (prevention of harassment, abuse, and ‘sexual exploitation).
- Share Oxfam values and be engaged in a rights-based approach, including an active engagement to put the rights of women at the heart of everything we do as well as the rights of marginalized people in all aspects of the work of ‘an organization
- Implement Oxfam’s Gender, Diversity and Equal Opportunities policies and ensure gender mainstreaming in the WeACT project in Ghana
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements and review and work with project teams including partners to ensure compliance
- Support to organize steering committee meetings and serve as secretary to the project steering committee – service the steering committee
- Review existing partnerships and assess opportunities for additional partnerships involving local agencies in Ghana
Public Policy and Advocacy
- Work collaboratively with Campaigns, Advocacy and Influencing Lead and the Media and Communications Coordinator to develop policy briefing papers, media briefs, and opinion pieces for external use
- Play an active role in lobby and advocacy/influencing on issues related to Oxfam mandate through personal contacts and coordination of allies, leading to impact on public policies and practices to build a just economy and reduce inequality.
- Supports coalitions and alliances on women’s economic empowerment advocacy and campaigns targeting governments and institutions at relevant levels.
Partner Engagement and Partnerships Capacity Development
- Support WeACT project partner teams in exploring approaches for assessing, enhancing, monitoring, and evaluating institutional and organizational capacities in a participatory manner.
- Provides technical guidance and support to key implementing partners.
- Leads and/or coordinates capacity-building initiatives on relevant approaches and tools including but not limited to the Transformative Leadership for Women’s Rights, feminist principles, and others.
- Develop and implement a detailed plan for building the influencing capacity of partner organizations. This will include needs assessment, capacity building approach and delivery plan including tools and methodologies
- Assist partner organizations in the development of influencing strategies as necessary
- Work with Media and Communications Coordinator to develop and manage relations with media partners
- Liaises with Program Effectiveness Lead, Just Economy Policy, and Program Manager and partners to identify common challenges and solutions to influencing
Internal and External Coordination, Representation, and Networking
- Inform and influence wider Gender Justice and Women’s Economic Empowerment Working Groups/Teams as appropriate.
- Co-ordinate and/or participate in relevant regional/continental/national/international events.
- Develop and maintain professional networks, relationships with partners (Gender Justice networks and think tanks, knowledge institutions, equality movements, etc.)
- Establish internal and external connections on women’s economic empowerment including experts/consultants.
- Develop relationships, maintain, and nurture existing ones; and represent Oxfam in Ghana to donors, Government, UN agencies, civil society organizations, academia, and women’s rights and feminist movements.
Required Skills or Experience
- Someone with a passion for gender and economic justice/equity, a strong professional qualification, and background in gender and development, and women’s economic empowerment.
- A strong background and a track record in international development with a specialty in project management more specifically focused on women’s rights, gender, and human rights and women economic empowerment and research and analysis for campaigns, advocacy, and influencing work.
- A Master’s degree in a related field is required (development studies, international development, gender, and development, or equivalent).
- Minimum of 3-5 years of working experience in international development required. A detailed understanding of women’s rights, gender justice, human rights, women’s economic empowerment, non-profit strategic project management and campaigns, advocacy and policy influencing, and organizational development functions are critical.
- This can be experienced as a mid-to-senior level project manager with a demonstrated record of achievement in coordinating advocacy and policy influencing, and organizational development.
How To Apply
Closing Date: By Thursday, 25th November 2021 at 5 pm (GMT)
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED