As hundreds of Nigerians in Ukraine are struggling to return home, there are reports that about 115 young men have offered to join Ukraine in its fight against Russia.
According to the Guardian in Africa’s most populous country, the men, who besieged the Ukraine Embassy in Abuja, also put down their names in a register provided by the embassy.
The Second Secretary, Ukraine Embassy, Bohdan Soltys, confirmed the development, adding that no step had yet been taken to that effect.
The volunteers may have been responding to a recent call by Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, urging people around the world to join the fight.
In a statement released last Sunday, the President accused the Russian army of killing civilians and praised Ukrainians for having the courage to defend themselves.
He said that the assault by Russia was not just “Russia’s invasion of Ukraine” but also the beginning of a war against democracy and basic human rights.
Zelensky had called on anyone who wished to join the defence of Ukraine, Europe and the world to come and fight side by side with Ukrainians.
This came as rights group, Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA), faulted the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari for its response to the evacuation of Nigerians in Ukraine.
In a statement by its national coordinator, Emmanuel Onwubiko said, “Like other aspects, President Muhammadu Buhari’s Presidency fumbled again.
“This time, woefully, because it failed to effectively and timeously evacuate Nigerians from Ukraine many weeks before the eventual war started, following the needless invasion of Ukraine by Russia on the illegal orders of President Vladimir Putin.”
- Catch glimpse of a ‘suspected’ witch who got stuck on high tension pole (VIDEO)
- Emergency meeting of all Ghanaians in Ukraine with the Foreign Minister
- NIA OPENS NEW REGISTRATION POINTS
- Mother storms school to cause chaos after her 2-year-old received 24 lashes from her teacher
- Busted: University student arrested by her sugar daddy for blackmailing and duping him of millions [Video]
- Metro Mass Security coordinator jailed 10 years for blackmailing former MD
- UG UTAG votes against suspension of strike
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED