Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana, and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo Region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health, and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities, and Newmont’s shareholders.
POSITION: Senior Drill and Blast Engineer
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
- To supervise the development of technical plans, such as drill, blasting, and quality control activities, to enable the underground operations to carry out safe production.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
Drill and Blast Design Approval:
- Supervise and assist in the development of drill and blast designs, track cost and blast improvement parameters.
- Approve blast designs before blasting, track cost, and blast improvement parameters.
- Monitor the tracking of the SLS drill and blast register.
- Monitor stope fragmentation and ensure budget KPI’s in terms of stope dilution and recovery is maintained.
- Supervise the development of stope atlases for all production rings.
- Review all production ring closeouts in terms of ring reconciliation.
- Ensure quality control of data integrity and management.
- Monitor the draw percentage of SLS rings and backfill compliance to eradicate waste reporting on the draw point of SLS rings.
- Establish, implement and maintain the drill and blast engineering processes, standards, and procedures for the Subika technical services team.
- Perform routine QAQC check-in stops to ensure correct production drilling setup for Solo, ITH, and Rhino.
- Liaise with the geotechnical team periodically to review stope charging collars for stopping and SLS rings.
- Perform routine checks on loaders to ensure draw percentage(%) for SLS rings are being adhered to.
- Support in mine scheduling activities to assist with drill and blast plan for weekly, monthly, and three months schedules.
- Monitor contractor’s equipment for compliance to KPI’s and schedule.
- Contribute to annual budgeting activities in relation to mine production.
- Contribute to the scheduling of SLS rings on draw points per level.
Compliance and Reporting:
- Create quality weekly and monthly reports for the site management team.
- Ensure the data integrity of Pitram reporting on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Contribute to statutory reporting.
- Ensure adherence to policies, standards, and procedures in all areas of operations.
- Monitor blast variations and emissions to ensure compliance with the national and best practice guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with all safety procedures, codes, and regulations and assist in securing permits.
Health, Safety, and Environment:
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment regarding safety and environmental practices.
- Identify potential hazards and actions that are appropriately taken.
- Maintain a high standard of efficiency, safety, and effectiveness.
- Raise, discuss, and make resolutions of safety issues at regular meetings.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Mining Engineering.
- Minimum of 7 years working in an underground mining environment
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in underground mining operational time such as blasting, drilling, haulage, and service crew works is preferred.
- Preferred previous experience in ventilation and drill and blast engineering.
- Preferred experience in supervising a drill and blast engineering team.
- Proficient in the use of the design software (DESWIK).
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Deadline driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Takes initiative.
- Attention to Detail.
- Combination of office and underground mining conditions.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and earmuffs.
- A dark environment that requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
- Underground conditions include steep decline with sections of uneven terrain.
- Working with corrosive chemicals.
HOW TO APPLY
CLOSING DATE: February 18, 2022
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED