Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana, and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo Region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work for.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health, and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities, and Newmont’s shareholders.
POSITION: Senior Analyst, Regional Tax Services
About This Role:
- To provide support to the tax lead in achieving Regional Tax objectives relating to statutory tax compliance in the areas of indirect taxes, taxes collected and mineral royalty, tax accounting (IFRS and USGAAP) and controls, custodian of tax records, and championing tax transparency efforts.
In This Role You Will:
Statutory Tax Compliance
- Perform the day-to-day activities and dealings with the Tax Authorities.
- Advise stakeholders on implementing transaction taxes as applicable to operations.
- Advise stakeholders on system configuration relating to transaction taxes.
- Coordinate and prepare tax returns relating to transaction taxes.
- Coordinate and file all tax returns with the Ghana Revenue Authority and other statutory bodies.
- Maintain adequate and proper documentation relating to all filed tax returns.
- Champion Newmont’s digitization efforts relating to tax.
Value Added Tax (VAT) Refund
- Complete VAT refund application forms and submit same to Ghana Revenue Authority.
- Coordinate VAT refund audit activities with the Ghana Revenue Authority.
- Work with internal stakeholders (supply chain and end-users) to provide adequate documentation to support the VAT refund audit.
- Coordinate and respond to queries relating to the VAT refund audit
- Ensure proper accounting of VAT refunds.
Tax Accounting and Reporting
- Coordinate tax accounting activities to enhance effective and timely tax computations and compliance.
- Champion accurate reporting of tax accounts including transaction taxes on the financial statements and trial balance in accordance with IFRS and USGAAP.
- Perform activities relating to Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) manual review and control documentation and other key tax controls.
- Ensure tax accounts properly reflect transactions for the period and reconcile to supporting schedules and documentation.
Mineral Royalty and Government of Ghana Carried Interest
- Prepare and file monthly Mineral Royalty returns with the appropriate regulatory authority.
- Pay monthly statutory deductions (Mineral Royalty and Forestry levy) to the appropriate regulatory authority.
- Ensure proper and accurate accounting for Mineral Royalties.
- Ensure proper and accurate computation of Government of Ghana Carried Interest payments and maintain adequate documentation of same.
Tax Transparency Efforts
- Coordinate Newmont’s tax transparency efforts with internal stakeholders such as Government Relations, Social, Environmental and Governance, Communications and external stakeholders.
- Act as custodian of records on tax contributions to the Government of Ghana’s revenue mobilization efforts.
- Manage Regional Tax intranet page and update same with value-adding content for stakeholders.
- Coordinate general tax audits (regular, transfer pricing, and special purpose audits) through retrieving and analyzing data for the audit team.
- Assist in responding to queries from tax officials.
- Maintain a catalog including timestamp of all activities and correspondences such as requests, schedules submitted relating to tax audits.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Taxation, Commerce or Economics.
- Professional accountancy qualification.
- Professional tax qualification (partial or full qualification).
- Appreciable level of technical knowledge and practice of taxation and accounting.
- Working knowledge of SAP or any other Enterprise system.
- Working knowledge of Office applications especially spreadsheet applications.
- A minimum of 4-5 years post-degree experience in Accounting, Taxation, or Commerce.
- Knowledge in accountancy and auditing.
- Budgeting and forecasting skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Emotional intelligence.
- Team player.
HOW TO APPLY
CLOSING DATE : January 25, 2022
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED