Overall, the role’s purpose is to ensure terminal progress from an operational perspective while ensuring all performance deliverables are achieved within the terminal planning and execution organisation.
- Accountable for the leadership of the planning and gate team totalling 60 employees and establishing a highly motivating working atmosphere driving the best out of each staff.
- Manage and supervise vessel, yard, berth planning activities and Gate activities with due regards to safety, quality, productivity and optimum use of staff, equipment, and space.
- Actively partake in maintaining a good working relationship with stakeholders on an operational level.
- Always ensure safe working conditions by actively promote safety awareness and safeguard all workplace QHSSE policies are adhered to by the entire workforce including subcontractors’ personnel.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Lead the planning department by example and ingrain the safety culture in the workers behaviours and practices.
- Safeguard that all planned activities are executed safely with the aim of eliminating risks.
- Ensure the safety of all staff working within the Planning and Execution teams.
- Coordinate closely with the Asset Maintenance team for the scheduling of preventive maintenance of all container handling equipment in effective time frame.
- Actively monitor subcontractors’ adherence to the terminal safety rules and regulations.
- Manage, motivate, and instruct all planning and gate team members. Structure tasks and goals, establish efficient courses of action, set priorities, organize information, and efficiently execute daily tasks with considerations to high productivity and efficient utilization of equipment and labour.
- Drive a constant improvement in the maturity of the planning and gates process to support first class operations.
- Ensure, together with the TOS manager, an optimal configuration of N4/XPS to support the operational need.
- Actively promote industry best practices in terms of planning and support a thorough utilization of the TOS optimization modules.
- Accountable for the smooth running of the control room (planners, dispatchers etc) to provide best support to the operation execution function.
- Maintain and enhance relationships and goodwill with departments, external/internal customers, and vendors. Advising, apprising, assisting, conferring, and counselling with these on terminal issues and initiatives.
- Provide relevant operational input to establish strong SLA/contracts with shipping line customers.
- Establish and maintain performance criteria for reporting personnel in conjunction with the COO.
- Ensure regular assessment of staff skills level is carried and adequate learning experiences provided to staff.
- Perform periodical scheduled performance review with reporting personnel.
- Contribute to the development & implementation of strategic initiatives that will prepare the terminal for future.
- Ensure personal development plans are created, reviewed, and carried out for all subordinates.
This position reports to the Chief Operations Officer (COO). It is the responsibility of this position to firmly implement all plans, decisions and performance deliverables with the terminal Operations Manager and therefore ensure the COO is fully supporting all deliverables.
- Key department interfaces in the terminal are:
- Operations & execution
- Assets Maintenance
- Information Technology
- Departmental interfaces in the company are:
- Human Resources
- Other stake holders include but not limited to the following:
- Ship Owners and Agents
- Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority
- Customs Division of Ghana Revenue Authority
- Statutory Authorities operating within the Terminal
- Receipt and Delivery Customers and Agents
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- University Degree (or above) in relevant industry related field.
- 10 years’ experience (minimum 5 years in a leadership position) in relevant functions in a container terminal with Gantry Cranes (STS & eRTG).
- Previous experience in both transhipment and gateway as well as semi-automated terminals is an advantage
- Experience in a strong service oriented, stakeholder-management focused environment
- Structured, self-motivating, result orientated
- Highly disciplined – following through on actions and ensuring necessary documentation
- High quality awareness and ability to work with constant care
- Strong communication skills and ability to influence
- Strong leadership, motivational and ability to coach and develop direct reports
- Sensitive to cultural diversity and experience in a multicultural environment, with respect to employees, local authorities, and other stakeholders
- Excellent English written and verbal
- Excellent command of N4/XPS including optimization modules (Expert decking, Primeroute & Autostow)
- Well versed in all aspects of modern container terminal operations – both gateways and transhipment hubs
- Strong analytical skills – capable of handling large amount of data and derive relevant insights
- Conversant with automation in a container terminal (automated gate, crane OCR etc.)
- Well versed with continuous improvement /lean tools & methodology.
- Provides vision and empowers others to act. Guides and inspires others to accomplish goals. Establishes high standards for performance. Commands attention and acts in a professional manner.
- Anticipates problems, manages prevention, recognizes the key issues in problems and creates contingency plans and alternative solutions. Evaluates solutions for both long and short-term benefit. Exhibits sound judgement and measures results taking corrective action when needed.
- Cost focused Demonstrates cost consciousness in all areas of responsibility, strives to improve the company cost position. Able to work within budget constraints.
- Initiates change, educates and influences others to accept change.
- Creates an environment where staff can communicate across functional boundaries. Shares knowledge, ideas, and information openly. Influences others. Communicates in a clear and concise manner; conducts effective meetings, keeps people informed, solicits input from associates.
- Able to sustain high level of activity and energy over long hours when necessary. Keen eye for details while not losing sight of the bigger picture
How To Apply
All qualified applicants should send CV directly to the following address:
Meridian Port Service Limited
P.O. Box TT240,
Tema New Town
Closing Date: 24 December, 2021
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED