Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified Ph.D. students from West African countries for the Gerda Henkel Foundation Ph.D. Scholarship 2022/2023 to study at the University of Ghana.
The University of Ghana has received a grant from the Gerda Henkel Foundation of Germany to support the training of Ph.D. students in the Humanities under a project titled Enhancing Doctoral Training in the Humanities in West Africa.
Under the project, the University of Ghana will be the sub-regional hub for the training of Ph.D. scholars in the historical humanities (History, Archaeology, Historical Islamic Studies, Art History, Philosophy, History of Law, History of Science, Prehistory and Early History, Classics and other disciplines with historical component).
The project will fund the tuition, accommodation, research, stipend, and airfare of international students starting from the 2021/2022 academic year.
Gerda Henkel Foundation Ph.D. Scholarship Eligibility
- Applicant must have successfully completed a Master’s degree in any of the disciplines listed above, or in a related field.
- Should have excellent academic credentials and demonstrate motivation and commitment to pursue an academic career.
- Has thorough knowledge of the language of instruction (English)
- Applicant must be a national or permanent resident of one of the following
West African countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso, and Senegal.
Documents to be submitted project:
- Graduate and Undergraduate Certificates
- Graduate and undergraduate Transcripts
- One-page motivation statement
- Ph.D. research proposal of not more than 3 pages(of1.5linespaced minimum)clearly
outlining the background, objectives, scope, and methodology for the applicant’s research.
- Applicant’scurriculum vitae
- Copy of applicant’s passport or national ID card
Duration of program
While the Ph.D. program is generally for four years, funding for the program is for three years.
How to Apply for Gerda Henkel Foundation Ph.D. Scholarship
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should CLICK HERE to download the application form.
Completed application forms with copies of required documents should be sent to:
The Provost’s Office
College of Humanities
University of Ghana
P.O Box LG 1173, Legon
Office location: International House, Annie Jiagge Road, Legon Campus, University of Ghana
Applicants should take note of the following dates:
- Applicants should apply by completing the google form below
https://forms.gle/UR5VhYhaB19LUB41A and submitting same by February 11th
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified by April 15th, 2022
- Details of shortlisted candidates will be submitted to the Gerda Henkel Foundation
in Germany by May 13th, 2022
- Scholarship awardees to receive notification by May 30th, 2022
- All shortlisted candidates are to apply to the University of Ghana for admission when the application for admission portal opens. Please check the University of Ghana website for more information at www.ug.edu.gh.
The College of Humanities through its relevant departments will do the initial review of
applications. The final selection of awardees will be done by the Gerda Henkel
For more information, visit the Gerda Henkel Foundation PhD Scholarship.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED