Food Crops and Agriculture Officer Job at MEDA Ghana
Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) invites applications for a Food Crops and Agriculture Officer to join our dedicated and talented team in Ghana on our mission to create business solutions to poverty!
MEDA’s work is built on a foundation of Mennonite business roots and faith-based values, within the global context of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We believe business solutions are effective interventions to address poverty. Through a market-systems approach and strategic partnerships, MEDA enables access to finance and provides business and technical expertise to build transformative agri-food market systems that create decent jobs, allowing traditionally excluded groups to become active participants in a sustainable economy. MEDA welcomes all who share our values and want to join us in our mission. To find out more about MEDA, please visit our website at www.meda.org.
GROW2 is a women-focused project driven by a strong market system approach that fully integrates Nutrition, Gender Equality, Human Rights, Environmental Sustainability, and Innovation in its implementation. The Project will increase the economic and social empowerment of women farmers, entrepreneurs, and agribusinesses in northern Ghana through increased productivity, and an improved business environment.
The Food Crops and Agriculture Officer will provide technical and field level support to facilitate increased agricultural productivity for MEDA’s Women Small Holder Farmer (WSHF) clients by increasing their knowledge of the adoption of environmentally sustainable agricultural practices in Northern Ghana. The role holder will provide knowledgeable advice on groundnut, soybeans, and vegetables, contribute to the design of value chain upgrading activities, and inherently support in building capacity for all GROW2 clients, Key Facilitating Partners (KFPs), and market actors.
Reporting to the Senior Food Crops and Agriculture Officer, the role holder will also work with MEDA’s headquarters-based Technical Experts. The position is collaborative in nature, working closely with the Environment and Climate Change Manager, Gender team, and other technical officers to address ongoing constraints, surveying and identifying stakeholders able to take advantage of innovations, and opportunities, and thus effect soybean, groundnut, and vegetable value chain upgrades. This position will involve frequent travel to project locations within the three regions of Northern, Savannah, and Upper West.
- Job Status: Full-time Contract
- Anticipated Start Date: July 2022
- Location: Wa, Ghana
- Support the Senior Food Crops and Agriculture Officer (SFCAO) in developing soybean, groundnut, and vegetable values chains, that benefit Women Small Holder Farmers (WSHFs).
- Work closely with the SFCAO in ongoing value chain constraints analysis, assessing strengths, opportunities, and threats to participating WSHFs.
- Support the SFCAO in the identification of change agents including agriculture technology service providers and manufacturers to support value chain development.
- Work closely with the SFCAO in building agriculture and food crop service delivery systems, (extension, legume-specific inputs, and private sector services businesses) specific to groundnut, soybean, and vegetable value chains.
- Work with SFCAO and private sector partners to develop innovative approaches using ICT tools for WSHF access to information and training.
- Receiving technical backstopping from SFCAO, working with KFPs, aggregators, input dealers, and out-grower businesses to implement MEDA’s Approach to Agriculture and campaigns to raise WSHFs’ awareness on the use and value of environmentally sustainable modern inputs, techniques, local crop diversification practices with nutrient-dense crops, and practices of food crops production in groundnut, soybean, and vegetables.
- Work closely with other officers to regularly organize workshops and learning events at the Regional and District levels in the GROW2 zone of influence.
- Support in providing technical advice and support on agriculture, food security, nutrition, and resilience in GROW2 project activities, with special attention to women’s engagement and environmental impact.
- Assist with the design, development, planning, implementation, and capacity building for project partners in GROW2’s target food crop value chains.
- Develop tools for the design and implementation of all project improvement activities.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with relevant government agencies, and other partners including NGOs in the regions of operation.
- Ensure all activities promote gender transformative and positive change.
- Work with private sector agribusinesses (including input and seed dealers, aggregators, processors, and off-takers) to develop bundled services for WSHFs and entrepreneurs
- Assist in analyzing data and measuring the performance of clients in areas such as crop yield, use of technology and others.
Documentation and Reporting:
- Provide inputs in annual work plans and reporting activities, including MEDA’s engagement with WSHFs and entrepreneurs, input and seed dealers, aggregators, processors, and off-takers
- Identify and disseminate best practice examples of agriculture-related innovations and work practices within the project clients
- Contribute to the development of tools and indicators for monitoring and impact measurement.
Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned
Education: Degree in Agriculture, Agronomy, food security, nutrition, economics, international development, or related biological sciences disciplines.
Experience: Minimum of three years’ progressively responsible experience in international development working on agriculture, food security, and nutrition.
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s faith, vision, and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
- Knowledge of gender and youth-related issues as they relate to value chain development and entrepreneurship
- Ability to work collaboratively to achieve results
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize stakeholders into partnerships and alliances
- Experience in providing capacity building and training to colleagues and project partners
- Knowledge of food processing, including quality control, market standards, and/or product development
- Fluency in English and any local language in the Northern, Savannah, and Upper West Regions is an added advantage.
How to Apply for this Food Crops and Agriculture Officer Job at MEDA Ghana
Click here to read more and apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, June 6, 2022 5:00pm GMT.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis when received. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications and organizational needs.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating an inclusive and diverse environment of mutual respect. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring such accommodation make their needs known in advance.
Also, For more job opportunities CLICK HERE
- Sunda International May 2022 Jobs
- GIBA latest available jobs
- Finance Officers needed in GIZ Ghana
- SECURITY PERSONNEL NEEDED URGENTLY FOR EMPLOYMENT
- DRIVERS NEEDED URGENTLY FOR EMPLOYMENT
- Job Vacancy at a Telecommunication Company
- Ghana National Association of Teachers Jobs for May 2022
- An oil and gas company’s Latest Job Recruitment
- A security company Invites Job Applications
For daily job alerts and guide to worldwide visas, join our WhatsApp and Telegram group
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE WHATSAPP GROUP
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE TELEGRAM GROUP
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED