Requisition ID: 250
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Commissioner Political Affairs, Peace & Security
Department: Governance and Conflict Prevention
Number of Direct Reports: 4
Number of Indirect Reports: 23
Purpose of Job
- Tor provides strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Governance and Conflict Prevention Department in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Department and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
- Manages and supervises employees within the Department, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the Department’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the Department
- Manages the work of the Department and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Leads the Department and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other Directorates/Departments
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization, attributed to the Department;
- Implements and Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Department; Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Department.
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the Department.
- Provides strategic advice on governance, democratization, elections, constitutionalism, rule of law, human rights, transitional justice, public service and administration, combatting corruption and illicit financial flows, decentralization and local development, housing, human settlements and urban development, security sector reform, and post-conflict reconstruction and development in Africa to the Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace and Security (PAPS) of the African Union Commission including preparing statements, speeches and briefings.
- Co-ordinates the development of Common African Positions on relevant governance and conflict prevention issues and the provision of technical support to AU member states.
- Oversees and ensures effective execution of activities of the AU Agenda 2063 Flagship projects in the field of governance and peace and security, ensuring complementarity and synergy in the implementation of the African Governance Architecture (AGA) and the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA).
- Supervises development of official communications, statements and other documents.
- Supervises Staff of the Directorate in organizing seminars, workshops and other related activities of the Department.
- Ensures the drafting of speeches, talking points for the Commissioner.
- Supervises the preparation of reports of activities and specific missions.
- Liaises with the AU Regional Offices on issues related to the work of the Department.
- Creates strategies for mainstreaming the work of the directorate in the programs of the African Union.
- Develops appropriate working relations with AU Organs, RECs and partners of African Union on issues relating to the work of the Department.
- Performs any other relevant tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Public Administration, Law, Human Rights, Sociology or any other related field with fifteen (15) years’ experience of which(eight) 8 years at managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- A PhD in a relevant field is an added advantage.
- Ability to use strong managerial delegation, political tact and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives.
- Ability to work effectively with people from various backgrounds and create an environment where diversity is respected.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with top level stakeholders.
- Ability to identify key strategic opportunities and risks.
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery.
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should
DEADLINE : MAY 31, 2021
Is Daddy Lumba truly Ev!l & Dαngɛrous? According To Roro producer this is what happened
Subscribe to Blog via Email
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED