Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Data Manager at World Health Organization
- Company: World Health Organization
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT / Telecom Jobs in Ghana
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES:
Ghana confirmed outbreak of circulating Vaccine-Derived Poliovirus Type 2 (cVDPV2) in August 2019 in the Northern Region. The outbreak has since spread to nine other regions in the country. With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, response activities to the polio outbreak were largely suspended. In order to prevent further spread of the poliovirus, the country will restart implementation of polio outbreak response activities to help break transmission.
The Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) seeks to ensure that future generations of children will be free from the threat of polio. Achieving this goal depends on interrupting poliovirus transmission and on ensuring rapid and effective responses to poliovirus outbreaks occurring in polio-free countries
GPEI Strategy for the response to the cVDPV2 2020–2021, offers contingency measures across four mutually supportive areas of work: 1. enhanced outbreak response; 2. vaccine supply and usage; 3. early detection of new outbreaks; and 4. communication and promotion. Countries experiencing cVDPV2 outbreaks are expected to implement these strategies and break transmission within the shortest possible time.
The World Health Organization (WHO) Country Office for Ghana seeks to engage highly motivated professionals to support the implementation of polio outbreak response activities.
|Description of duties:Under the overall guidance of WHO Representative to Ghana and direct supervision of the GPEI Coordinator and the National Professional Officers (NPOs) for Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) and Surveillance, the incumbent will have the following responsibilities in her/his assigned area of work:
|Accelerated Disease Control Activities/Supplementary Immunization Activities:
- Support the EPI Programme to collate, clean and share all pre-campaign data sets;
- 3 weeks, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3-2 days Pre-Campaign Dashboard indicators
- Pre-Implementation Data Sets (Social Mobilization, Micro plan, Training Check list, Pre-implementation check list)
- Support the EPI Programme to collate, clean and share all Intra-campaign data sets;
- Intra-campaign dashboard (Daily)
- Clean, analyze and share supervisory checklist in Open Data Kit (ODK) with the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and Regions (Daily)
- Support the EPI Programme to collate, clean and share with the EOC and WHO Office through NPOs (where necessary) all post-campaign data sets (End/In-process, monitoring data, LQAS and Independent monitoring)
- Support the EPI Programme to write comprehensive reports on all campaigns
- The data manager will on a weekly basis support data harmonization between the surveillance department and the polio laboratory by performing the following;
- Follow-up and support the Disease Surveillance Department to update the Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) Database with results received from the lab
- Support the Disease Surveillance Department (DSD) to update Measles and Yellow Fever Databases with Lab results
- Support data quality checks for consistency in information between the Lab and DSD for the AFP, Measles and Yellow Fever databases and flag up any discrepancies for harmonization
- Support in preparation of the Weekly AFP surveillance updates
- The data manager on a monthly and quarterly basis will support national level to generate the AFP Surveillance report using a standard reporting format by generating the following:
- AFP surveillance indicators by Regions and Districts
- Update number of WPVs, cVDPVs and Compatibles by regions and districts
- Calculate and updating Non-polio enteroviruses (NPENT) rates
- And other relevant indicators as necessary
- Support the National level with data presentation (Visualization in Microsoft PowerBI, Dashboards etc., analysis, and interpretation
- Create and secure back-up copies of data
- Provide data management support to the Regions and Districts
- Conduct data management training to build the capacity of officers
- Support the EPI Programme to collate, clean and analyze routine immunization data
- Support the triangulation of the following;
- Coverage and surveillance data
- Coverage and wastage
- Support the EPI Programme to produce a concise monthly immunization bulletin
1. Support implementation of other health priorities as a part of WHO’s Country Cooperation Strategy
Undertake any other tasks/duties as assigned by supervisors.
|Education:Essential: Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health / Community Health or a relevant health field obtained from a recognized institution.
Desirable: Master’s in public health, health informatics or related programme is desirable
Experience and Skills:
1. Excellent Communication skills (both written and spoken);
2. Knowledge of Word Processing, Spreadsheet and presentation software;
3. Good analytical skills;
4. Ability to work in different environments and multi-task effectively;
5. Good presentation and inter-personal skills;
6. Sound knowledge of WHO standards and policies such as the IDSR and IHR
7. Knowledge and understanding of the functionality of EPI and surveillance systems at national, sub national, local and community levels of the health systems in Ghana
8. Good scientific writing and development of reports
9. Experience working successfully in similar position as outlined in the scope of work
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Producing results
- Fostering integration and team work
Essential: At least five years of public health experience/practice
Desirable: Experience in public health/program management and/or experience of working in the polio eradication / routine immunization programme.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and working knowledge of local language will be an asset.
This position will be filled only by a national of Ghana.
The incumbent should contribute to ensuring high professional, ethical, and institutional standards of the Organization. Meet professional conduct expectations, and basic universal norms of honesty, integrity, loyalty, and lawful behavior. This includes compliance with the above, including ability to: perform within existing organizational structures and governance; adhere to WHO’s processes; demonstrate gender and cultural sensitivity; demonstrate respectful and constructive interpersonal communication; perform as a team player; and demonstrate due diligence.
Previous applicants should also apply.
Method of Application
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Closing Date: 8 July, 2020
WhatsApp & Telegram Job Alert
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED
Subscribe to Blog via Email