ANIMALS THAT CAN ONLY BE FOUND IN AFRICA (5 SPECIES)
Every continent in the world has something that is unique to it including animals. There are animals that cannot be found anywhere apart from that continent. Africa is no exception to this. It is home to many unique creatures although the well-known animals are elephants, lions, rhinos, and zebras.
Below are some really amazing creatures found in Africa.
1. To begin with, AFRICAN CIVET
The African civet is the last surviving species of its kind found in Sub Saharan Africa. This unusual animal has the face of a raccoon or weasel and a long cat-like body with fur. They are normally active at night and feed on plants and other small animals. They are known for secreting musk to claim the territory.
This musk is also used by those who make expensive perfumes in the past. Today most perfume manufacturers use a synthetic form of the musk. Research has it that these creatures can live for more than twelve years.
2. Secondly, AFRICAN WILD DOG
The African wild dog is not like the ones we keep at home as pets. It is one of the most endangered species that can be found in the Eastern and southern parts of Africa. The African wild dog has a colorful, patchy coat; with large bat-like ears; and a bushy tail with a white tip that may serve as a flag to keep the pack in contact while hunting.
Every dog is marked differently making it easy to identify individuals. The only thing that distinguishes it from other canines is that it has four toes per paw. The endangered status of these dogs is due to the loss of their habitats, disease, poaching, and hunting from lions and hyenas.
3. Another is the GREY CROWNED CRANE
The grey-crowned crane is an elegant large bird that lives in the wetlands of Eastern and southern Africa. The largest population of this species can be found in Kenya, Uganda, and South Africa. The bird measures at one meter tall. The grey-crowned crane feeds on grass seeds, small toads, insects, and other invertebrates.
They are also known to feed on millet, potatoes, and soya beans being grown on farms near their habitats. The crane is a very beautiful bird with black and white wings, a grey body, a red throat, and a crest of stiff golden feathers. They often build their nest on trees to avoid predators.
4. Also, GUEREZA COLOBUS
The guereza colobus is a beautiful species of monkey that live in the forest of West, Central, and East Africa. These monkeys can jump as high as 50 feet in the air. One feature of this species of monkey is that it has no thumb and has two stomachs.
They normally feed on young trees however, the nature of their stomach allows them to eat older leaves which are toxic to them. They are able to eat these toxic leaves because of the highly developed digestive system that allows them to break down toxic food.
The wildebeest is a type of antelope that is native to Eastern and Southern Africa. They can grow up to 4.5 ft tall and weigh as much as 250kgs. Their thick grey-black fur keeps them warm during cold nights, whilst their long tails help to keep away flies.
Also, for More Interesting Articles, CLICK HERE
- Top 5 African Countries with the Best Education Systems
- HOW TO GET A UK VISA IN GHANA
- What You Need To Know When Starting A Business
- What You Need To Know When Buying A Car
- How Do I Get Rid Of The White Stuff On My Tongue
- Get Rid Of Vagina Odour Immediately
- HOW TO PREPARE PIZZA FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR HOME
- HOW DO I KNOW MY BLOOD GROUP
- KNOW WHY YOU SHOULD NOT MARRY PEOPLE WITH CERTAIN BLOOD GROUPS
- How Can I Stop White Discharge and Itching Naturally
- How to stop menstrual pains fast at home
- What Are the Symptoms & Signs of Gonorrhea and Syphilis?
- How can I stop the pain when I urinate?
- How can I stop sperm from coming early?
- Apply for Police Clearance Certificate in Ghana
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED