Advisor – Private Sector Development & Special Economic Zones Job at Tony Blair Institute
The President and Government of Ghana have a vision of a ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ through job creation and value addition of its natural resources. However, this vision was captured in the post-pandemic economic recovery plan Ghana Covid-19 Alleviation and Revitalisation of Enterprises Support (CARES) that runs to 2024 and aims to transform the economy. Also, The Ghana CARES Programme’s key flagships include to support commercial farming, develop the digital economy and build Ghana’s manufacturing sector. Hence, This is to provide incomes and jobs to Ghanaians, including the 300,000 youths entering the job market every year. Also, create value addition in Ghana through industrialisation.
In support of this agenda, TBI works with government in the strategic sectors of agro-processing, textile and garment and new technologies. Therefore, We aim to support government package bankable projects in those sectors to attract private investments. This will create quality jobs, livelihoods and contribute effectively to Ghana’s growth.
To contribute to this work and to our economic and investment team, TBI is seeking a Private Sector Development Advisor with a focus on Special Economic Zones (SEZs) to be anchored in the Ministry of Trade and Industry, working closely with the Minister, Deputy Ministers, Chief Director, Directors, and other key stakeholders. The role will look at industry development and development of Special Economic Zones in Ghana. Then, within the scope of our sectors: agro-processing, textile and garment and new technologies.
This is an initial 2 years fixed term employment.
Policy and implementation (30%)
- Assess critical gaps in Ghana’s offering to SEZ developers and industrial tenants. Also, support government to identify specific reforms, investments and actions needed to fill those gaps for sectors of focus: agro-processing, textile and garment, new technologies
- Input into the development and validation of Ghana’s new SEZ policy being drafted by MoTI with support from its partners
- Support MoTI and the Ghana Free Zones Authority (GFZA) to problem-solve and coordinate the implementation of the new SEZ policy being drafted
Investment promotion and facilitation (60%)
- Working with MoTI and sectoral teams, identify and support the development of bankable opportunities that help package Ghana’s industrial and SEZ offer for sectors of focus: agro-processing, textile and garment, new technologies
- Reach out and facilitate introductions to potential SEZ developers, financiers, industrial anchor tenants and technical partners that are relevant for investment into sectors of focus
- Ensure a strong feedback loop between those private sector actor and government officials, facilitating investment into selected industries within the framework of the new policies
Additional duties (10%)
- Bespoke support and advice as relevant to the Minister and Chief Director on policies and incentives to develop new industries and attract FDI
- Maintain active dialogue with international donor community, private sector players, local organizations, partners, building contacts to facilitate objectives in Ghana
- Coordinate closely with other TBI advisors, especially on agriculture and textile and garment, and contribute to TBI Ghana’s objectives
- Support the Country Head, Deputy Country Head and other team members with team strategy, quarterly and annual reporting, monitoring and evaluation
We are looking for an outstanding individual with a proven track record of delivery and SEZ / industry development in the public or private sector. The person should have high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude
- To begin with, Significant experience working on industry development, especially SEZs, either within the private sector or public sector
- Secondly, Existing network in industry within our sectors of focus, whether on the retail, brand or manufacturing side will be a strong asset
- Then, Excellent in identifying and resolving project implementation bottlenecks with demonstrable capacity for follow through and delivering of results
- Also, An ability to work independently, be entrepreneurial, think strategically and translate strategies into delivery plans on the ground. Show emphasis on attention to details; with excellent analytical, organizational, communication and management skills
- Moreover, Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with government counterparts, with the industry and across a large organization, including with virtual teams
- Additionally, Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage
- Finally, A master’s degree in business, supply chains, finance logistics, public policy, economics, finance, engineering or other relevant fields
About Tony Blair Institute (TBI)
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. Likewise, When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change. This is done in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
But, We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. Thus, It has both non-profit partners and a client base. Its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- To begin with, Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Afterwards, Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Finally, Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Firstly, Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Then, Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Lastly, Optimistic Changemakers: you’ll be focused on results
Closing Date : 20th May. 2022
- Latest Golder Career Opportunities
- Proten International Limited Available Jobs
- The International Potato Center Job Vacancy
- Absa Bank New Employment Opportunity
- Teledata ICT Latest Job Opportunities
- Exciting Job Opportunity at Sightsavers
- M&G Pharmaceuticals Ltd Job Opportunity
- Cummins Inc New Job Opportunities
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED